VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 1.8 GLX overheated and leaked out most of water/coolant on a short drive with my husband. He said he thought it was at the back of the engine.... this AM, he checked it and said it is not the lower hose, but coming out at back of engine...????? Is it my water pump? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
There are heater hoses that connect to the bottom of the plastic flange on the drivers side of the cylinder head.

There is also a steel coolant line that runs along the inner passenger side frame rail for the turbo cooling and some hoses that go to the turbo on the rear of the engine.

Probably need to get the car up on ramps or on a lift to see what is going on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it up on ramp and...

We found the steel coolant rail with a hole in it.... it had been previously epoxy crap on it... so, we had a new one made, bent and fitted (copper). It fit... now, we are trying to get the air out of the system so it won't puke and overheat.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
IF, and IF there are no problems with the cooling system, getting the air out of the cooling system on the 1.8t is actually fairly automatic as I recall. I just installed new hoses, thermostat and plastic hose interfaces on my car and had no problem with air in the system.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts