NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I purchased a 2005 2.0 L Beetle over the summer. It's my first bug, and my first manual.

Anyways, I somehow managed to break or disconnect my parking brake. I had it looked at, and they said it happened near the lever, so they have to take my console out to fix it, which makes me a little nervous——I'm currently living three hours away from my regular mechanic for school. I figured I could just put it in gear, and bring some wedges around with me until I go home for the holidays to get it fixed. But there's a problem:

My bug rolls still when its in gear. It doesn't matter what I put it in, if the parking brake isn't on, and we're not on level ground, he rolls. I, and everyone I have spoken to about this, are baffled.

Anyone have any idea why it would do this?

Also, any insight on how hard it actually is to fix the brake? Should I just trust a mechanic out here and do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You probably have a clutch on the way out that is not holding. Either that, or the slope is enough to turn the engine against its compression.

The console is not too hard to take apart and access the handle and cables. That is probably easier to fix than one of the cables going to a wheel.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Rolls because bad clutch.

It's really easy to take the console out to fix the e brake. You actually only take out the armrest part. There are good how-tos posted online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys.

If the clutch was going, wouldn't it be noticeable when driving? I haven't had any issues shifting.

As far as the incline goes, it doesn't seem to matter too much. Of course, on a steep hill, it rolls quicker...but it still rolls on a very slight incline as well.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Bad clutch actually makes it easier to shift. Next time you're out for a drive, get it up to about 30mph. Put it in fifth. Put the gas pedal to the floor. Does the engine rev faster than the car accelerates? Try it on a hill, too.

The only other explanation I can think of is the engine is so worn that there is little compression in the cylinders. Worn rings or valves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts