NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my NBC very much but I'm having a baby and I need to know what car seats / strollers travel systems will work with the small trunk and back seat. :confused:

Any insight about what works vs. what doesn't would be much appreciated. I know that as infants the car seat has to be rear facing in the back seat...:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
you might be out of luck. way back when my wife and I were expecting out first, back in '99, were were looking at new car and testing it for fitting in our Graco stroller and its detachable car seat.

since we were both Beetle fans, we tried it out, but we could barely fit the car seat in the back seat (front seat had to be pushed all the way forward) and the stroller could only fit into the trunk if we removed it wheels. major pain.

our son, however, did wind up being nicknamed "Snugglebug", which got shortened to "Bug" which he still goes by.

and, of course, 11 years later, we finally got our Beetle. (and ironically, are having a bit of an issue fitting the kids in the back seat :) )

·
Registered
18 Posts
I feared the worst when we had our baby since I figured we would never get the kid and her accessories into the car, but it's been okay up to 6mos.

We wound up getting the Graco Snug-ride for our 02' NB. We found that we couldn't recline the front seat much, if at all, but this is usually not a problem unless yyou or your passnger are very tall. My wife is only 5'0" and found she can almost completely stand up (almost) inside the car to click the carrier into place. Great when it's raining, she simple climbs in with the carseat and closes the door and can click the seat into place w/out getting wet!

For the stroller, we have the full size travel stroller which hardly fits in my Mazda6 let alone the Beetle...but for the Beelte we bought this thing that Graco makes which is literally a just a frame w/wheels that the baby seat clicks into. This "frame" fits almost perfectly into a empty MB trunk, or behind the back seat if you are short and have the front seat pushed up anyway. Someone on the board recommended it to us and it's works great.

Amazon.com: Graco SnugRider Infant Car Seat Stroller Frame: Baby

Of course, now we are moving to a larger seat and running into problems finding a rear-facing seat that isn't so large.

·
Not low enough
947 Posts
our son, however, did wind up being nicknamed "Snugglebug", which got shortened to "Bug" which he still goes by.
my cousin calls her son bug! no idea where it came from though.

as for the carseat/stroller issue, where there's a will there's a way! if you're dead set on keeping the beetle, it's going to be a pain in the butt but you'll make it work. hopefully hubby has a more practical baby hauler to use whenever possible. friend of mine had a beetle and at around 7 months pregnant it was too tight of a fit for her and she swapped cars with her husband for his passat. ended up being a permanent swap once the baby came.

sounds like that graco is the best bet, that's what i was picturing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your imput. As for convertible child seats (for babies over 20 lbs) I did fit an EvenFlo Titan Elite into the back of Ringo.

I am dead set on keeping Ringo and not changing cars with my husband. ;)

Also the Chicco Keyfit 30 fits nicely

Still looking into the stroller issue. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to provide an update on the stroller issue

I finally did find a stroller that fits in the trunk. It is the City Mini Elite by baby jogger. It juuuuuussttt fits in the trunk with one of the wheels removed. It's the only one I've found so far that "fits" in the trunk. (this is also with the trunk completely empty).

Thanks again for all the advice and imput! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts

I am not yet a NB expert, but I know a little about car seats, and baby gear.:)

If you can make it thru the first couple of months, it should get easier. The stroller that is just the "frame" that someone else mentioned could be your answer while the baby is in the rear facing infant seat.

Once they are old enough to hold up their head, there are LOTS of strollers that are umberelly type, but actually fold to about the size of a backpack. I have a friend who has one that they LOVE! She says theirs pushes as smoothly as a large stroller, but then folds small enough to carry over the shoulder!

Hope this helps! and congratulations!:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my NBC very much but I'm having a baby and I need to know what car seats / strollers travel systems will work with the small trunk and back seat. :confused:

Any insight about what works vs. what doesn't would be much appreciated. I know that as infants the car seat has to be rear facing in the back seat...:cool:
There are a lot of infant car seat in the market and you have to get right for your car because some cars are smaller in size at the back seat. Make the right decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
carseat / stroller

i just got a NB and my graco nautilus fits well in my backseat, i have 2 strollers and they both fit in the trunk tho not at the same time lol one is a quinny zapp and the other is a bbay jogger city micro. my husband has a 2 door car as well and i can say that i think the way the seats move forward in my NB makes it much faster for me to get our 2 year old in and out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, ive been told the 'quinny' buggies are the only ones that fit into the boot of the Beetle. I have a cab, and the umbrella style fit in the back with the middle section open, and there are still the two seats available in the back. When I say umbrella, I dont mean the tiny ones, I bought mine at mamsa and papas and its very delux but folds like the umbrella style. Whatever you do, DONT SELL. I sold my first Bug cab 2 years ago when I found out I was pregnant, but I missed her so much that I've just bought another, and use the umbrella style in the bug, as quinnies are expensive.
Hope that helps, and good luck :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quicksmart strollers will fit too (IIRC Baby Style branded here)They recline too unlike the Quinny Zapp but can't take the baby seat like the zapp. I have one for my daughter & it's great for my Smart, MINI and Toyota iQ :)

Kate

·
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.
1,671 Posts
I am so happy I saw this thread as I was fixing to start one just like this. I am 5 months now so its time I start thinking about this and even if we get the Golf we are looking at I am not getting rid of Smurfette. :D

·
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.
1,671 Posts
Oh and thanks for everyone answering and helping

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad to stumble upon this thread as well. My wife is expecting and we've also talked about hauling baby around. I haven't tried stowing our stroller in the rear but I didn't think it would fit without folding the rear seats down. Are you all actually able to fit a full-size stroller in the trunk?

We just figured we'd use our Audi when travelling with baby but it'd be pretty neat if we can use the Bug sometimes too. :cool:

·
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.
1,671 Posts
I do not think one of the big full size strollers will fit but I am still looking. lol.:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
we've been shopping in babies r us today and tested out some car seats and strollers

the chicco keyfit 30 fitted behind the passenger seat - pushed very far forward but still useable (for a short person)

the Britax B safe also fitted

We chosethe Britax because we were able to fit the Britax B Agile stroller into the new beetle convertible trunk!!

it took a bit of wiggling but it fitted :)

Amazon.com: Britax B-Agile and B-Safe Travel System, Black: Baby

1 - 20 of 22 Posts