VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was driving along about 35mph and the engine just stopped. When I try to start it, it just rotates the crankshaft, camshaft doesn't move. I assumed the timing belt was broke, but when I went to replace it, It looks to be almost new...not broke....What else could cause this problem? Could a bad pulley be the culprit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....side note....is it likely even though timing belt is still in good shape that the valves bent?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Probably stripped teeth on the timing belt, since you said the belt does not appear broken. Do not crank it anymore as you will cause more bent valves.
A cylinder leak down test will confirm leaking valve, but if it were mine I would be getting setup to pull the head an inspect for internal damage to the engine (pistons and rods)

There are rebuilt heads available and places who will rebuild your head.

Sorry for your trouble

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok....I ordered a new timing belt kit with all the bells and whistles....once this is installed, I will check for bent valves....is it likely that there would be any other damage....or are the bent valves the only thing I would need to replace in the head?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I would be checking for bent valves before installing the belt. If the teeth have stripped, you are almost certain to have damage. Installing a new belt with bent valves and trying to start the engine will only cause more damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts