NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I just wasn't sure where to post this thread, so forgive me if I chose the wrong forum.

I am moving across country, and am driving my 2007 NB hatchback, transporting my Siberian Husky (60 lbs). My dog loves to be in the car, but I've only taken him on short trips (ie to the vet). My usual MO is to put the back seat down to give him the whole hatch. However, I am concerned with his safety on such a long trip. I've been researching products for this problem, but most I've seen involve a dog in the seats. I hate to give him such little room...Huskies aren't huge, but they aren't lapdogs either!

Has anyone transported a large-ish dog on a long car trip with the back seat down? What safety products, etc, did you use? Or, I guess, with the seat up, how did the large-ish dog do and what products did you use?

ANY advice will be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi everyone - I just wasn't sure where to post this thread, so forgive me if I chose the wrong forum.

I am moving across country, and am driving my 2007 NB hatchback, transporting my Siberian Husky (60 lbs). My dog loves to be in the car, but I've only taken him on short trips (ie to the vet). My usual MO is to put the back seat down to give him the whole hatch. However, I am concerned with his safety on such a long trip. I've been researching products for this problem, but most I've seen involve a dog in the seats. I hate to give him such little room...Huskies aren't huge, but they aren't lapdogs either!

Has anyone transported a large-ish dog on a long car trip with the back seat down? What safety products, etc, did you use? Or, I guess, with the seat up, how did the large-ish dog do and what products did you use?

ANY advice will be appreciated!
Hi, we've "spoken" before. Hope you're doing okay and get this move behind you soon. In response, yes, I travel with a Golden (80 lbs), often, sometimes 20 hrs straight. He rides in just the rear seat. No problem,just stop every couple hours for him to take water, excercise a little, and do his/her business. Throw a blanket down and a favorite toy or two. He/she should travel just fine, esp since there already is no issue with being in the car, and a familiarity is already established. Already going to be a little trauma going on as it will be apparent things are changing at home, but this shouldn't cause undue stress that should affect traveling. Your too worried, everything will be fine. Good luck with the whole move and trip. Drive safe!

MORAV

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help; so your dog was ok being in the little back seat for that long? And what restraint system did you use for his safety?

Also would still be interested in hearing anyone else's experience traveling with a dog in the hatch with the backseat down.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks for your help; so your dog was ok being in the little back seat for that long? And what restraint system did you use for his safety?

Also would still be interested in hearing anyone else's experience traveling with a dog in the hatch with the backseat down.

Thanks all!
No restraint system at all, he hates wearing his seat belt as much as I do.

He's used to riding in cars, he typically just lays down. If he starts getting active it's a clue he's thirsty or needs to potty. He's been traveling for 10 years.

If you feel he needs to be restarined, do the cage thing, but I'm not a cage person, my animals are all well behaved and I would never think of caging them. Well maybe the cat to go to the Vet, but that's about it. The Golden goes where we go, save out to dinner. "If it's not good enough for my dog, it certainly isn't good enough for me!"

The cat also travels well. We have always traveled with our animals, 30 years. Many hotels today are "pet friendly", and most of them will waive any "one time, non-refundable" deposits. I generally just don't tell them, if it is a place that requires such a deposit. Low end, Motel 6 is great, higher end, Red Roof Inn and Extended Stay America.

Stop worrying!

M.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Since you have only taken short trips, you might talk to your vet regarding motion sickness meds. Better to have them and not need them than to spend hours cleaning up dog barf and worse if your dog suddenly develops motion sickness.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Dramamine, for dogs

OTC Medications
Scroll down the page, it and the generics are available OTC, same med as for humans, note dosage by weight. 1/2 hr before travel.

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re dramamine...I always hate to give animals things that alter their consciousness...the confusion of "why do I feel this way" I see hits me in the heart. :) In your experience does the dramamine make your Husky sleepy like it does humans?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Re dramamine...I always hate to give animals things that alter their consciousness...the confusion of "why do I feel this way" I see hits me in the heart. :) In your experience does the dramamine make your Husky sleepy like it does humans?
Not a Huskie, a Golden. I have never given any of my animals dramamine, have never had to, so I have no clue as to the effect, other than it is supposed to keep them from getting "car sick", same as a person in a car or on a plane who is prone to this, but again, no personal experience. If he is accustomed to riding in the car, even for short distances, I don't think you'll have a problem.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
Dramamine doesn't make me drowsey, and I'd rather my pet feel sleepy than be sick to their stomach on a car ride. My cat gets car sick and I hate to see her like that :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts