VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have. 2004 VW Beetle Convertible, she sat up for 8 months, then I bought her. The car will start and stay on, but when you press the gas pedal, it does nothing. Absolutelyjj nothing! The check engine light is on as well as the EPC light. I’m wondering if it’s the throttle body, a sensor or the pedal itself needs to be replaced. There is not ECU light on, but that doesn’t mean that’s not what’s wrong. It was suggested that I borrow someone else’s ECU and test it but who in their right mind would loan out and ECU? Any help or advice would be amazing!!!! Thank you in advance!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,300 Posts
What engine and transmission? How many miles? Any maintenance history? Have you scanned for codes? If not, I would start there. You won't be able to just swap an ECU unless its had the immobilizer defeated. The immobilizer needs to match the cluster and the key or the car won't stay on for more than a second or two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a 2.0 and automatic transmission. I have an OBD2 scanner but it doesn’t read the system. It has 169,500 plus miles. As far as the maintenance, I kinda doubt it Bc it was sitting under a tree for 8 months before I got it. I was told that only the computer needed replacing. The car was a total disaster inside when I got it with mold and water pooling on the floor. Then sent old pictures. Anyway, I have found a company who will repair the ECU and send it back. They even offer a money back guarantee that if nothing is wrong with the ECU, they’ll send my money back.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,300 Posts
I would see if you can get access to another scanner, or maybe buy one on Amazon. The CEL is on so there are codes there that will help guide the troubleshooting of the car.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Will the scanner not connect? Is the scanner powered by the obd port? Or with batteries?

It wouldn’t hurt to check the fuse that powers the obd port. It is one of the small 7.5 v fuses in the fuse panel by the drivers door. There are only two 7.5 v fuses, in the panel, I forget which one it is.

·
Registered
15,100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,808 Posts
I hope you get this worked out. Thank you for rescuing this poor, neglected NBC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts