NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the Spark plugs on Babyblue yesterday and she's running real good, purrs like a kitten.Using a flashlight I looked into the spark plug holes and did notice there was some carbon buildup on only one of my pistons, much more than the others. The spark plug I removed from that cylinder also seem to have what looked to be oily residue on the plug screwing threads. What's going on here? should I be concern? The car has 184k miles.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Likely you have oil entering that cylinder either via work valve guides, leaking valve seals or worn cylinder/piston rings?

With the mileage you have, I would not worry about the issue unless if starts to cause you problems.

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
If you are worried and want to know the condition of your cylinders; get a compression or leak down tester. See what the condition of each one is and that cylinder in relation to the others.

Harbor freight has some reasonably priced testing equipment.

Cylinder Leak-Down Tester
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#94190

Cylinder Leak-Down Tester

compression testers

Search results for: 'compression tester'

I haven't used it myself but they say seafoam is really good at decarbonizing valves, pistons etc.

Sea Foam Sales Company

Here is a guy seafoaming his jetta 1.8T; pretty much the same as the beetle:

Seafoam VW 1.8T GLS Pt 1/4 through vacuum line How to - YouTube

Lots of how to articles out there:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...sugexp=chrome,mod=15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY...23ca7c4da5ccfb&bpcl=40096503&biw=1280&bih=899

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey

Hey thanks guys....:goodjob: I'll look into those uptions in the near future. Has anybody out there actually used seafoam and sucked it into the intake without hydrolocking their engine? anybody?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey thanks guys....:goodjob: I'll look into those uptions in the near future. Has anybody out there actually used seafoam and sucked it into the intake without hydrolocking their engine? anybody?
Me, Me, Me :) You just need to be careful and let it suck in just a little at a time. I don't see how Seafoam could Hydrolock the engine in any way or form. Seafoam is one of the best lubricants and best solvent there is on the market.
It wouldn't lock anything but rather loosen it and ungum anything known to man. I would get some Deep Creep by Seafoam and spray it into the spark plug hole that has the carbon build up. Also put a can of Seafoam in your tank prior to filling up the next time. Still using cheap gas are we?
Perhaps a reason for that carbon build up?! That and using Regular Oil instead of VW recommended Synthetic will do that over time. ;)

Oh, if you use Seafoam in the intake track it will smoke like Cheech and Chong on steroids. Pretty normal and nothing to worry about :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kool man

Me, Me, Me :) You just need to be careful and let it suck in just a little at a time. I don't see how Seafoam could Hydrolock the engine in any way or form. Seafoam is one of the best lubricants and best solvent there is on the market.
It wouldn't lock anything but rather loosen it and ungum anything known to man. I would get some Deep Creep by Seafoam and spray it into the spark plug hole that has the carbon build up. Also put a can of Seafoam in your tank prior to filling up the next time. Still using cheap gas are we?
Perhaps a reason for that carbon build up?! That and using Regular Oil instead of VW recommended Synthetic will do that over time. ;)

Oh, if you use Seafoam in the intake track it will smoke like Cheech and Chong on steroids. Pretty normal and nothing to worry about :D
Hey thanks for the info indytom, I saw the utube video and it's pretty strait forward and easy to do, just go slow and only put 4-5 ounces. No cheap gas , there is no cheap gas in TEXAS LOL :D I use 93 octane now it's more pricey but Babyblue deserves it. Thanks for your help Indytom

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey thanks for the info indytom, I saw the utube video and it's pretty strait forward and easy to do, just go slow and only put 4-5 ounces. No cheap gas , there is no cheap gas in TEXAS LOL :D I use 93 octane now it's more pricey but Babyblue deserves it. Thanks for your help Indytom
Come here to Indy. Gas is the cheapest it has been for at least a year or more. BP station down the road is 2.67 for regular and 2.89 for 93 octane premium.:D. Might drop even a bit more I would like to see it under 2 Dollars but that is probably wishful thinking on my part. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts