NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for pictures of door panels done with carbon fiber stickers. I could not find any so I decided to post pictures of my current project. I started the doors today.

I remove the rubber coating with brake fluid and steel wool. I found it best to use small pieces of steel wool and wrap them around the gummed up stuff instead of trying to pull it apart to find the clean areas of steel wool. I used 0000 though a higher number may be much quicker.

To remove the melted plastic that holds the different pieces of the door panel together I found a large drill bit pushed firmly to the melt and trigger quickly to crack it and not melt it by actually drilling it.

Here is what I am starting with and the center console project I am finishing up. It was grey and had an arm rest. The arm rest was missing a couple components and really just got in the way of shifting in my opinion so I replaced it with a holder I found at walmart for 50 cents many people use to hold butter. Spray the out side of the dish black and it will not chip off though will hold the black color. I cut it down to sit on the plastic below so it will last. I super glue all the edges of the carbon tape. I did not use 3m though a tape that looks the same for 20 dollars a square meter which is the one they sell here in the tropics.

The doors will be all black. I cleaned them all up today and tomorrow I plan to start the transformation.

Great forum by the way...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jhicken,

Well it is a bit of work though I would not call it that. I have maybe 4 hours into it. I wish I had more time and hope to tomorrow. I had to cut the top portion of the panels sticker as I started from the edge and was doing it alone. I will eventually replace or cover this section so it is seemless though not right now.

I have where the leather was painted at this point. I scrapped off most of the glue (well my wife helped me greatly with this piece) then instead of trying to wash off the residue painted it then polyurethaned it with spray. I will need a couple more layers and some sanding if I want it smooth. I may cover it with the tape I am not sure at this point. I picked up some 1 steel wool to aid in the sanding of this. The cargo pocket is getting the sticker too and is mostly done.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A slow process. Going to need one more day it looks like. I am thinking either a spray adhesive to aid in sticking around the edges or prepainting black and just not doing in the tiny cracks would make more sense unless there is ample free time.

Attachments

• 80.4 KB Views: 1,559

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I am preoccupied with a transmission fluid leak that is either my slave cylinder or throw out bearing I am told. I have not diagnosed it yet. I will post photos when I am finished and it is quite the undertaking. I got some plastic bondo the other day to smooth the arm rest out where the leather was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the support :).

I am just waiting for one piece to dry. I will post a picture when it is all done.

I would fill the trenches in first, which I plan to do with the other door, or I would paint it first and just not do the trenches. The rear quarters got painted and are drying with the last piece for this door. All in all it has some minor blemishes from the superglue though is an enjoyable process. :)

GorillaGrow.org(anic) Home of Organic Chemistry Homepage

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for the support :).

I am just waiting for one piece to dry. I will post a picture when it is all done.

I would fill the trenches in first, which I plan to do with the other door, or I would paint it first and just not do the trenches. The rear quarters got painted and are drying with the last piece for this door. All in all it has some minor blemishes from the superglue though is an enjoyable process. :)

GorillaGrow.org(anic) Home of Organic Chemistry Homepage
Hi. This is really awesome!!! I want to do my doors like this. You have inspired me. But what type of carbon fiber did you use? Where did you get it? If there's a website could you let me know what it's called? Thanks xoxoxo, chelsea

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 3M I hear is the best. I could not get that in the country I am in though they sell it on ebay. I had a bit of issue with the edges sticking of my brand so I had to use superglue though I hear the 3M is much better if you can afford it. On the passenger door I filled in the grooves and it was so much easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts