NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm a new to the beetle. I purchased a New Beetle Convertible back in May. Is there a special cleaner that I need to use for the cloth top? Additionally, my beetle has a red top and red leather interior. Are there special ways to treat the red so that it doesn't fade?

Any help on this is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
The best thing for your fabric top is Raggtop Cleaner and Raggtop Protectant.
Never use car wash soaps or any other kind of soaps. When cleaning the top, use plain water to rinse loose dirt off, spray the Raggtop cleaner on and brush lightly with a soft bristle brush, thoroughly dry the top and spray two coats of protectant on the top. Let the top dry and "cure" in the sun. The protectant has a paraffin base so the sun will help it bond to the fabric. Once done, your top will will be waterproof and dirt will just slide off. I usually treat mine once a year and it's garaged most of the time.

Good luck and keep that vert clean ! :)

·
<3 Heather
11 Posts
i've run mine through the car wash many of times, nothing has happened to it. (granted i have a black top, not the red). Nobody ever said not to do it. Just don't dry it with a white towel lol.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
There are lots of online auto care sites that you can get it from.
I have always used www.properautocare.com for my detailing supplies. The folks there are super to deal with and have very competitive prices.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
paulalves said:
Anyone know any retail store that sells this raggtop cleaner?
I have never found RaggTopp in a store. I bought mine over the internet as well. My Z4's top was "not quite black" when I bought it. The RaggTopp brought it back and it looks wonderful.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I also recommend RaggTopp.

However, you will get nasty overspray from the canvas sealant. It's hard to wipe up, but if you have quick detailer spray, you should be fine. Would help to wash the car along with the roof before you spray the sealant. :cool:

I bought the kid from Mid America Motorworks as well.

-Des

·
1,255 Posts
Here's how I control the overspray. I partially open the top and place an old sheet, drop cloth, plastic film, etc., over the top of the windows and windshield. Then lower the top with out latching. Allow the drop cloth to lay over the outside of the windows and windshield. Then I mask off the back end starting at the waist line chrome trim. I generally use old newspaper. Sometimes I will block off the rear window. Now spray on the protectant. This takes a little effort, but little to no mess (overspray) to clean off.

·
2004 NB Vert Original Own
9 Posts
soft top care

I agree, Ragg Topp works best. I have a 2004 NBC bought new almost 10 years ago. The attached photo was taken Aug. 30, 2013 in my garage. This is how I control the over spray.... NOTE: just a little care goes a long, long way ......

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts