NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to put this out there for Roswell 2013. Anyone interested in a trip over to Carlsbad while in Roswell?

Carlsbad Caverns National Park - Carlsbad Caverns National Park

We have done this in previous years but it has been quite a while since I have been there. My wife is coming along this year and she expressed interest in heading out to see them. It is about 100 miles from Roswell so
1 1/2 hours or so.

One nice thing is that while the desert is HOT, down in the cave temps are in the 50's so it is a nice break.

Perhaps Friday might be a good time to shoot out there? If you have any interest, PM me or reply here!

SYIR

:D

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
I've only been once - I'd be up for it if we could organize it so that it didn't conflict with the Parking Lot Olympics. We have a lot more spare time this year since we have the night show so an excursion is really needed to fill the schedule and this one sounds like fun. I didn't realize it was that close to Roswell.

Wonder if an late afternoon cave hike then to see the bats fly out at dusk then to the drive-in would work on Friday? I need to look at the schedule.

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
If we do Parking Lot Olympics in early afternoon it could work well if we did Carlsbad as a late afternoon/evening thing with the option to catch a Drive-In.

Anyone else interested in catching the Drive-In - I have never been to theirs, but the TNBRU always ended our show with a drive in and it was always awesome for a car show weekend!:D

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I'm interested in both the caverns and the drive in. :)

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am interested in the drive-in as well depending on the offering! I just checked and we have to be at the Caverns by 3:30 PM to enter by the natural entrance. This is the best way to see the most of the cave. Otherwise the Caverns can be entered by 5 PM using the elevator. As a note to anyone bringing a dog; the Caverns have a kennel area where "Fido" can be kept for a nominal sum in air-conditioned comfort. Pugsley used these facilities a couple of times!

Personally I don't participate in parking lot Olympics...just not my thing especially in the "heat"! But perhaps we can work out something.

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sounds like the beginning of a plan! I didn't mean to seem negative towards the olympics; loads of people love them. But for me I seldom attend plus this year with my wife along, I can pretty much guarantee that she would rather do something else (like shop) sigh... :(

For information the Carlsbad Drive-in is called the Fiesta Drive-in:

http://www.fiestadrivein.com/

"It won't be long, yeah yeah" :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am definitely interested in this excursion. Have any further plans been made regarding this? I may have to hitch a ride with someone if my guy doesn't want to go.

See y'all in one week!!

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been contacted by a couple people via PM's regarding this. The timing is good; leave from the front of Sally Port Promptly at 1:30 PM. Anyone late will have to catch up or meet at the Caverns.

Just remember your FRS radios if you have them. They will help with the caravan!

And if you have a pet, don't even think of leaving it in the car. Leave in your hotel or kennel them at the Caverns! A word to the wise...

SYIR (soon now)!!!!!!

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. I'm up for Carlsbad. And I haven't been to a drive-in movie in over 30 years. :)
I just checked the web site for the drive-in and all it says is:
CLOSED UNTIL JUNE 7.

No idea why or anything, we will be in Carlsbad on the 7th but atm I can't say for sure if we can do the drive-in... Will keep checking. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I just checked the web site for the drive-in and all it says is:
CLOSED UNTIL JUNE 7.

No idea why or anything, we will be in Carlsbad on the 7th but atm I can't say for sure if we can do the drive-in... Will keep checking. :mad:
Sadly, that doesn't surprise me. Drive-in movies are a relic of the past, few and far between, and probably don't do much business anymore, but if we can't go, then we'll still enjoy Carlsbad itself. It's kind of ironic, because while New Beetles from 98 on make the air-cooleds look like something from the Stone Age, many aspects of the past were much better, such as the quintessential drive-in movie.

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadly, that doesn't surprise me. Drive-in movies are a relic of the past, few and far between, and probably don't do much business anymore, but if we can't go, then we'll still enjoy Carlsbad itself. It's kind of ironic, because while New Beetles from 98 on make the air-cooleds look like something from the Stone Age, many aspects of the past were much better, such as the quintessential drive-in movie.
After doing a bit more research, I found that the drive-in is closed due to the owner getting married :D

So I am assuming it WILL open on June 7 as scheduled. The only question now is what will be shown...

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Back in the early 80s, which was the last time I went to drive-in movies, they typically showed stuff that came out in "regular" theaters about 6 months earlier. One thing to consider is that if this one is open, we could be there until around 1:00 AM if they show 2 movies, which would make for a short night's sleep before Saturday, especially since we'd have to drive back to Roswell, too.

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back in the early 80s, which was the last time I went to drive-in movies, they typically showed stuff that came out in "regular" theaters about 6 months earlier. One thing to consider is that if this one is open, we could be there until around 1:00 AM if they show 2 movies, which would make for a short night's sleep before Saturday, especially since we'd have to drive back to Roswell, too.
Point well taken! But some of us are mature (read old) and most likely will not stay for a 2nd feature. I for one won't :D

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
Yeah, I saw they were closed until the 7th...reading that as they will be open on the 7th.

Planning on just the early feature as well so I can get back and clean the car up in the cool desert night.

I am hoping to see the bats leave before the features start at the drive-in...any idea what time they normally fly?

·
Super Moderator
8,918 Posts
Friday June 7th & Saturday June 8th

**DOUBLE FEATURES ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY ONLY**

$15 Carload - Iron Man 3 PG13 -- Oz PG

$8 Person - The Great Gastby PG13 -- 42 PG13

$8 Person - Star Trek Into Darkness PG13 -- Pain & Gain R

Sunday June 9th - Thursday June 13th

**SINGLE FEATURES SUNDAY THROUGH THURSDAY**

$15 Carload - Iron Man 3 PG13

$8 Person - The Great Gastby PG13

$8 Person - Star Trek Into Darkness PG13

We will open at 7:45. First features will start at 8:30. Sunday through Thursday, All shows will start at 8:30 as well. We are still working on a day for a free movie for everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts