NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see others having problems with catalytic converters. I have an 05 with the CEL on for a few months. Definitely needs a new cat. Prices I have gotten range from $12-$1500. Most all of the cost is the converter, less than $200 for installation. Any perspective on replacement costs from anyone?

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
First, check with your dealer to see if it is still under the emission warranty. If not, order one from Rockauto.com and have it installed locally. Or, get the part number from rockauto, and order it locally from Pep Boys/Napa/Advance Auto Parts/etc.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Before you flag the converter as bad, they rarely fail unless physically, lest figure out what your problem is.

Who/why were you told the catalytic converter was bad?

Do you have a CEL and if so, what codes are you getting?

Catalytic converters are blamed for problems all the time and they are often replaced when they do not need to be replaced.

If you need a converter, check ebay for user Muffler Express out of Canada. They have nice products with OEM style flex couplings and comes with a manifold gasket for usually under $250.

But again, lets make sure your converter does in fact need to be replaced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not saying its the most environmental fix but it is a cheap fix. We did this to my cousins car when he couldn't afford a new cat and needed to pass inspection.what he did was gut his old cat so it would look like he had one for inspection and he bought a o2 simulator from amazon. If your handy need to just get rid of the cel it's worth a try but eventually you should probably buy a new cat. I had mine replaced under waranty at the dealer in July. I'm the second or third owner and my car had about 92,000 when I brought it to them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CEL is on, for about 2 months now. I had 2 shops read it, both came back with code '420'. From everything I have read, that is a bad cat converter.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
bad cat's Meow

The CEL is on, for about 2 months now. I had 2 shops read it, both came back with code '420'. From everything I have read, that is a bad cat converter.
Just joking with ya, Hey I had this p0420 code for the last 3 years now and comes and go's like the wind LOL :p. End up being not the bad cat at all. Check all your other components in the emission system first before you spend money on a cat that might not be bad. Even a little oil in your spark plugs will cause cat inefficiency codes, check your valve cover gasket for that. Even the wrong fuel could cause inefficiency codes, bad O2 sensors also could cause that. Wrong or bad thermostat will also cause that if your engine is not running hot enough for the emission to do it's job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts