VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions: cross posted

2010 VW New Beetle Convertible

1.Need to buy catalytic converter heat shield but how do I know I’m purchasing the correct one? Dealer wants $300 installed.
2. Is this something that I can replace on my own? Is it bolted on or welded?

I’m new to owning a beetle and also very new to trying to fix things myself
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
18,118 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it might be this?

Catalytic Converter Heat Shield. Converter AND pipe protector. PROT PLATE.
VW part #: 1J0253243M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Do you want you fix it yourself or have a shop handle it? The VW dealer is the most expensive option; you maybe able to install it yourself or a muffler or any place with a lift could handle it for much less. A visual inspection, is in order; that could help figure out how to attach it and see if there is any damage. Sometimes, they get scraped or torn off; by road debris or hitting something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping I could fix myself but wasn’t sure how it was actually attached. And can’t seem to find the info anywhere. Is it welded or bolted? I have ramps so can get under easily enough. It seems to always be something with the “Garden Bug”.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts

Well, maybe time to put it on the ramps and go look. Some of the exploded views show bolts holding them on?

Like many things, you need to look on your particular car and see how things are; this is assuming you still have the original vw catalytic converter intact.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That schematic is helpful. I am going to put on ramps this weekend to check out. You are always so knowledgeable and helpful. You helped me a few years back when I was working on my daughters 2002 vw beetle.

·
Registered
‘03 𝘛𝘶𝘳𝘣𝘰 𝙎
19 Posts
Not sure if you still need it, but I have a spare cat heat shield lying around. I’ll put it up on eBay if you’re interested?

·
Registered
‘03 𝘛𝘶𝘳𝘣𝘰 𝙎
19 Posts
Thanks…I’m taking a look at it this weekend and can let you know. I can buy one from vw parts for $87. What are you asking?
I’m asking $20 for a good used condition one.
Tool Kitchen utensil Bumper Knife Auto part

Tool Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Metal

·
Registered
‘03 𝘛𝘶𝘳𝘣𝘰 𝙎
19 Posts
Reactions: billymade

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Thanks, for trying to help another member out; we need, to see more of this sort of help, when possible! You never know, an extra part; that seems like scrap, maybe exactly what someone else needs. That reminds me; that I have a bunch of old/new/used parts, someone could possibly use! :)

·
Registered
‘03 𝘛𝘶𝘳𝘣𝘰 𝙎
19 Posts
This looks good! Couple questions… do you know cost with shipping? And how the darn thing is attached?
The total cost should be $23.77 plus your state’s sales tax, if any.
It’s attached with three bolts that screw into three clip-on nuts. I found some suitable stainless steel hardware I had lying around that I’ll be including with the part. All you should need to do once you get under the car is slide the three clip-on nuts onto the channels already welded to the cat, if any of yours are missing, then just place the shield on and bolt it up!

Reactions: billymade

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s attached with three bolts that screw into three clip-on nuts. I found some suitable stainless steel hardware I had lying around that I’ll be including with the part. All you should need to do once you get under the car is slide the three clip-on nuts onto the channels already welded to the cat, if any of yours are missing, then just place the shield on and bolt it up!
ok Trevor it’s sold…how do we go about that?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts