NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One quick question for the experts.

I have the exhaust manifold off my '99 beetle and removed from the engine bay. The manifold requires a weld repair or complete replacement.

I also have to remove the catalytic converter to access an area in the floor pan that requires repair.

Anybody out there who has pulled the converter - - what is the secret? There seems to be insufficient clearance between the tunnel and the steering mechanism to get the flange with the bellows through. The Bentley manual does not address cat. converter removal, or I can't find it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I always thought that the GLS and GLX at least in 1999 and 2000 were all 1.8T engines, however this is posted in the 2.0l engine thread. So I would guess that he has a 2.0l regular gas engine?!

To my knowledge there is no easy way to just take off the cat.
You will have to remove the downpipe in order to cut off the catalytic converter and then weld on a replacement or get an aftermarket downpipe with cat or if you prefer test pipe.
Those replacements start at around 89 bucks to 278 bucks on Amazon.
Make sure if you buy one of those replacement kits that you get the right size for your particular engine. The 1.8t kit will vary from the 2.0l kit.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
There is no way to remove the cat easily. Actually the only way I found to do it is with an electric grinder/cutter. I tried to pull of the exhaust where that flange was to weld and cut off the car, but broke the first nut I tried to pull off. Good luck on your project. Mine took 2 days and I still have my o2 sensor on my desk at work. :eek: Gonna pop that in today. :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
There is no way to remove the cat easily. Actually the only way I found to do it is with an electric grinder/cutter. I tried to pull of the exhaust where that flange was to weld and cut off the car, but broke the first nut I tried to pull off. Good luck on your project. Mine took 2 days and I still have my o2 sensor on my desk at work. :eek: Gonna pop that in today. :D
Man, your car is totally custom now. Removable lower front grill, Zip tied Fog Lights, Custom Welded Cat with optional O2 Sensor. :D We need to get together so you can customize my old ride ;)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
GL/GLS/GLX are all just trim levels. GL is base model. GLS gets fog lights, power windows and some other goodies. I think GLX is the only one with a sunroof, but I may be mistaken. GLX may be only 1.8T, but I've seen a lot of 2.0 GLS cars. Don't see many GLs to be honest.

And yes, no easy way on the cat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have it removed all in one piece. Would have been soooo nice if the Bentley manual had addressed this or even hinted at what all has to come out to get sufficient clearance for removal.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. Now I can get started with the repair of the hole in the floor pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts