NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the 6 disc cd changer in my 2003 convertible just died. It is in the console between the front seats. I have the Monsoon system. Took it to the dealer, and they said there is an electrical short in the magazine itself.
The audio guy I went to said that the vertical position is not the best option for a cd changer. Horizontal is better.

So my question is, has anyone had a problem with this type of installation? I bought the car used, so I don't know if this is the original changer or not, but she now has 101,600 miles on her, so if it's the original changer, I think it worked just fine for a long time! And would you recommend replacing it with the same thing?
Thanks,
Carolyn

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I would have to agree that the vertical application of a cd player/changer is not the norm, however, this particular changer was designed for this application, and I would have to disagree that the orientation would have anything to do with any type of "short", as electric is not something that works or doesn't work properly based on a horizontal or vertical application

I would tend to think a problem may have been created by the changer getting wet at one time or another during it's life, when your Bug got caught in the rain with her top down. The only real draw back I see, for this console mounted application, sans obvious security issue of it not being in the trunk.

These units did not come from the factory installed, but were offered as a Dealer installed option since the inception of the '03 Vert. ALL models with your console came from the factory pre-wired, for the ability of the Dealer to easily install this option. Can't imagine what the Dealers were charging for this install. They are very p&p, should be about a five minute job to change it out, and they are all around the web (NIB), for $40 - $50 plus shipping. They were even available from the VW Outlet Store through your Dealer, within the last year, for about this amount. At 100k miles, yours has served you well.

MORAV

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you SO MUCH for your reply. I think the audio shop I went to didn't realize that this changer was designed to be mounted this way. I sure didn't! Good to know.
The short is probably unexplainable, it was working fine, finished a CD, and then all the red lights came on, screen said "check magazine" and then "CD err". Oh well.
Yes, I have found a new one for $57, and the audio shop said change-out would be about $35. Much better than the dealer's $230! Yay! And yes, I can just imagine what the dealer cost was for this installation when it was new. Ouch!
Again, MANY thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts