NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock Monsoon system in my '04 1.8L Turbo Conv.
The CD player won't eject the disc that's in there. In conjunction with that it is now making a "clicking" noise as though something is rotating but not catching.

Just took it to a local shop I trust and was told he's seen it before. A component is broken that can only be repaired by VW.
His solution is a new Sony headend.

I wanted to bounce it off you folks here before proceeding with the work.

Happy New Year to one and all! !

trshman

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
I don't remember since my headunit was dead when I bought my NB and I replaced it, but there may be a small pinhole on the left front of the headunit's face. You insert a paperclip, etc. in there and it will make the headunit manually eject the disc. If there is no pinhole then your best bet may to be replace the headunit then go old school on it to remove the cd - if you like the cd that much. Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in my past experience in a Ford & a Pontiac, when a factory cd player eats a disc and won't play it or eject it, chances are it's toast, or at the least you have lost the cd player finctionality and you definitely don't want to put another cd in there.

I hope this is helpful,
Chef

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Search ebay or Google, there are plastic gears that break as I recall that some shops can and do repair.

Also before you ditch your head unit, I would get an updated factory head unit that supports MP3 and Aux input. You can probably get one ebay for around $150?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your responses. I checked, no hole. The only holes are for removing the bezel.
The disc plays it just won't eject. Even if I can't get it out I don't mind buying another. I don't listen to radio, when I'm in the car i'm playing one of my cd's.
I think the quickest solution is just to buy a new headend.

Thanks again for the input and a Happy New Year to one and all!

trshman

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts