VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
nikkilaff
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
not sure who can help me here but i own a 2003 beetle, nothing special about it but recently when it is warm out AND rainy..my engine sputters and my Check engine light flashes. my CEL is always on but when it sputters like this in the rain it flashes. It idles horrible and when i drive it it almost stalls ( or feels like it from all the shaking) any ideas about what i can do? dirty throttle body? needs a tune up? im lost and want my bug to stop spazzing on me when it rains! lol thanks in advance!!!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts
What engine do you have? Sounds like an ignition coil or coil pack issue.

·
nikkilaff
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CEL flashing in rain

I would start with a fresh scan and see what the stored trouble codes are. Which engine do you have? Post any trouble codes you find and we can go from there. Thanks! :)
I have a 2.0 gdi. nothing special. i let the car sit for about 3 hours and it seemed to dry out. it sputtered a few times at a red light when i drove it but CEL never flashed again. drove it again 6 hours later and it ran fine. it does this to me only in warm rainy weather. ill have to run it over to autozone to get a code. thanks to all!

·
Registered
14,353 Posts

·
nikkilaff
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CEL flashing in rain

A coomon problem on the 2.0L’s is the coils develope hairline cracks on the back of the case and they misfire in the rain, acring/grounding occurs when any moisure gets to them. Check out this thread for testing instructions;!using a soray bittle with water:

VWVortex.com - DIY: 2.0 Ignition Coil Testing
awesome, i will be sure to try this thank you. Ive read up on this a lot. if this turns out to be the issue is it fixable? how much and i looking at $$?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts