VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 GlS, 94000 miles, 5 speed.

I haven't driven Deetz in about 2 weeks. I went out started him up and I noticed a him running a little ruff and the CEL was flashing. I shut him down, started him back up and he was running fine and no CEL. Could it just be that it was because he has not been driven in a while? I took a little drive and the light did not come back on and no miss....... Any suggestions? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Was there any moisture outside? I would start by scanning the car for trouble codes and see what comes up. If you don't have a scan tool; check out the ELM 327 or VAG 401, both on amazon.com.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No moisture, it has just been sitting without being driven for 2-3 weeks. Will Autozone be able to scan this even though the CEL is not on?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, you can give it a shot; they scan cars for free. However, I think you should invest in your own scan tool solution; at some point, so you can do things yourself. The info the scan tools give you; can help us, help you and save you a ton of money, compared to taking it to a shop for repairs. As these cars get older; the frequency of the check engine light coming on, will become more frequent, as the car parts get old and need replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks1 I have one but for some reason it isn't working! Go figure!

So weird. I just went out and started it again, about 4 different times today and no CEL. Runs great. Could it be that it was because it had set without being started?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
After three weeks; the battery could have been a little low and the fuel pressure maybe, took a bit to get up to normal levels? We can speculate forever; until, you get a trouble code or the problem, happens all the time... it is hard to know! Intermittent problems; can be hard to diagnose. :mad: Misfires are common on the 2.0L; they tend to be ignition or fuel delivery problems.

Here are examples; of the coil packs, that tend to crack and cause misfire problems, when it is wet outside.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...eshooting-Coil-pack-on-2-0-AZG-AVH-BEV-or-BBW

Did you get the car scanned; at Autozone? What were the trouble codes?

What scan tool; do you have, that isn't working?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my OBD II reader working, there are no codes. As far as all the other numbers, I don't really know what it all means.:(

But, still no cel and he seems to be running ok. I will take him out and put some fresh gas in him and take him for a little ride. Maybe he is feeling neglected....... LOL!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have
ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool for iPhone iPad iPod
by ieGeek. I used the "OBD Car Doctor" app

I also have Torque, I just don't have it installed on this phone.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I am not familiar with the "OBD Car Doctor" app; it looks like, for the more in depth features, you have to purchase, the "pro" version. Looks to be; a "in app" purchase, for a extra $4?

Diagnose Car Problems: Check Engine, Fuel Efficiency, Malfunction Indicator Light - OBD Car Doctor

I don't see or know; if it has the "pending" codes features.

Here is a definition of a pending code:

OBD II Pending Codes are also referred to as “continuous monitor” and “maturing codes”. An intermittent fault will cause the computer to store a pending code in memory. If the fault does not recur within 40 warm-up cycles, the code will be cleared from memory. If the fault recurs a specific number of times, the code will then mature into a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and the MIL or “check engine” light will turn on.

More good obd II related info here:

Welcome to Leagend: Easier OBD II Diagnostics, Smarter Gauge

Looking over the app; it seems to be similar to most out there and even has some features that others don't (satellite navigation features), I have been using Dash Command and OBD Fusion on my iPad/iPhone.

I guess; you could just keep your eye on the car and if you get flashing lights or a check engine light comes on. You could scan the car and let us know what the trouble codes are; then, we can go from there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that info. Very kind of you to post it for me.

We went for about a 20 mile ride today and no issues as of yet. I do have the Torque app too, I just have to download it back on this phone.

I put some fresh gas in too. Knock on wood, I have been really lucky with this little car, no big issues. I had a CEL on for P0240, bad cat. Had it replaced about 2 months ago and all seems fine. Might not have been the proper way to do it, but We had the old one cut out and the new cat welded on. So far, so good!:D You just never know when that dreaded light will return.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep you posted if anything changes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also the plugs and wires are in great shape. The car has 94000 miles on it and he said that there is no way that these wires and plugs have been in the car that long.

The only thing he said is that it needs a "Freeway Tune up". Otherwise, I need to take it out on the x-way and go for a little trip. He said it would do it a world of good!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Good question; if you look at the part, it should have a part number imprinted on it (you might need a magnifying glass to read it; many times they are really tiny).

Based upon the service manual; it is the "PCV heating element (N79)" or "PCV heater":

"The PCV system consist of simply of a breather hose between the valve cover and the intake air boot. on the 2.0L and 2.8L engines the valve cover contains the flame trap to prevent ignition of crankcase vapors in the event of back fire. To prevent icing during cold weather a heating element is integrated into the breather hose."

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...information/testing_and_inspection/page_2505/

If you have allot of oil leaking out of the joints; you might check your pcv and see if it is sticking, possibly needs replaced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts