VW Beetle Forum banner

CEL on AGAIN!

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  BlackBug 
#1 ·
My check engine light is on...again. This is probably the 12th time since I bought the car in 02'. The dealership has given me several reasons why it keeps coming on...fuel trim (I use premium gas in it...), vaccuum hoses, etc.

I knew the light would come on because the car is shuddering when I stop at a light; not totally going into convulsions or anything, just shaking slightly and it's running "rough".

I took it to a VW mechanic (not the dealership) once to get a second opinion, and he told me that one of my cylinders didn't have the right compression. I took this information to the dealership, and they basically said that this couldn't be the problem...

I just had a 40K service done over the summer; they fixed the fried fuse box over the battery and changed the MAF.

Any suggestions? I have an appointment next week at a different dealership and I don't want to go in there without having any clue what could be happening...

I have a 2001 VW 1.8.

:)

See less See more
#2 ·
If we're just armchair mechanicin' here, I'd guess a dirty throttle body. $1.50 can of throttle body cleaner should take care of it for you.

Incidentally, fuel trim refers to the air to gas ratio (which is controlled by MAF, TPS, O2 sensors, etc.) - its not really affected by whether you're running premium fuel - although you do need the higher octane for your 1.8T.

#4 ·
Yeah I'd bet coilpacks first.

Vacuum hoses are always a usual suspect. They're so easy to check and easy to replace though that you should learn to do that one yourself rather than pay someone to replace a $1.20 hose.

If your mechanic did a compression check I'd look into it, but I'm betting he listened to the motor and guessed.

#5 ·
Well Well Well...
It appears as though it's a bent rod, maybe. Which is absolutely ridiculous on a car with so few miles, but here's what happened, and if anyone can offer advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. In February I took it to an independent mechanic because I wasn't getting results with the dealership in Daytona Beach. He (the independent mechanic) did a compression test and the compression in Cylinder one was WAY low. He gave me a copy of the test and told me to take it to the dealership, as it should still be covered under warranty. I did this, and they told me there was no way it could be a cylinder in such a new car. The independent mechanic suggested a drip-down test, which was never done by the dealership. Instead, they changed a vacuum hose and charged me $200. Now, the new dealership says it's cylinder one. They did the drip-down test, valves are fine, so they're tearing down the engine tomorrow to find out what the deal is (Maybe a bent rod?). All I want is a car that works. A bent rod isn't covered under my powertrain warranty, so I'm basically screwed. Any suggestions?
So, I'm wondering what I do now. My "old" dealership in Daytona Beach had a copy of the compression test done by the independent mechanic in my file, and faxed it to my "new" dealership this afternoon, which is proof that they were aware of the problem and did nothing to fix it.

#7 ·
Update on this issue...There is a BOLT crammed in the compression chamber in Cylinder 1. The service advisor told me that it's not covered under drivetrain, because it wasn't made like that and bolts just don't fall off. I obviously didn't PUT the bolt there, and the "old" dealership is the ONLY place that touched my car...
So what now? The "new" dealership won't pull off the head until they figure out who's going to pay for it, so nobody knows WHICH bolt it is. The service advisor did take pictures of it though...don't know what good that will do, but it's always good to have proof of things.
I'm planning on calling VW of America tomorrow; I've already left a message at the "old" dealership. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this?

#9 ·
hannaco said:
You at least have a paper trail showing that the problem has existed from '02. VW should cover this under the workmanship portion of the warranty.
Nope, I spoke with VW again, they won't honor the warranty. They determined that it was a bolt from the fuel rail inside my cylinder, and they said they couldn't honor the warranty due to "External influence". Like I put the bolt there...

#10 ·
Sounds like a call to VWoA is in store. I wish you good luck.

#11 ·
Hold up. Theres no way in hell a bolt can fit threw the fuel rail. Let alone the injectors... I think there feedin u some BS..
Only other way a bolt can get into ur cylinder heads. Is if u drop it in by accident, wile haveing the spark plugs out. Or doing a commpression check. Because that requires pulling the plugs also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.