NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
USC School of Dentistry!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been showing the dreaded "P0411 Secondary Air Flow" CEL trouble code on my 2002 Turbo S for a week. Based on what everyone has said in the old and new forums, I've checked the vacuum lines and their connections and all seems to be fine. I had a 2000 1.8t with a GFB Hybrid BOV installed and got the same code and it turned out to be a bad MAF - covered under a recall. But this time around I had the GFB Hybrid BOV installed on my 2002 Turbo S and it seemed like there was a small bit of OIL that leaked out of the BOV's horn so I cleared the CEL with the OBDII and replaced the Hybrid BOV with the OEM DV but the CEL returned. Do you think this oil substance is coming from the turbo and up the lines?

The dealer wants to charge me $95 just to run a VAG-COM to reproduce the P0411 code - something I already know. Any thoughts on what I should do next? Pay the stealership? :confused:

I appreciate any suggestions you all have. I'm trying to save cash since after the holiday shopping my $$$$$ is on life support!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
What about the rivets on the secondary air injection pump or the accordian style hose that comes out of it...?

Those are two other air leak issues besides the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Lol, no don't pay the dealership hahaah.

Replace the vacuum lines. Don't just inspect them, they're probably near 4 yrs old and super cheap to replace.

Check the hoses going to the 2ndary air pump, make sure both ends of both hoses are connecting right (I've seen some break the 'lock' off and they don't stay connnected well).

·
USC School of Dentistry!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting indeed. I will most likely inspect those rivets then replace the lines. Apparently, VW doesn't sell a vaccuum line "kit" for the Turbo S. When I replaced my lines on my 2000 1.8t I simply bought a vaccuum line kit from the dealer but now they are charging me $12 per meter instead. Weird.

I'll let you guys know what happens! I think it's funny how most everyone here will avoid the dealership at all costs! Me included! :)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Man, get the hose from a nearby parts store for less than $2/ft.

And start workin' on your toolbox. $ spent on tools is a good investment if you use them later.

·
USC School of Dentistry!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, i'll be buying the lines at an autoparts store for sure. my buddy works at an Audi dealership and I'll be bringing my bug down there for a free checkup sometime next week when 1) business is slow 2) their manager is gone for the day. hopefully, it'll reveal something.

Update: My 2ndary air pump is working fine and the accordian lines seem to be in good order. we shall see...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The local VW dealer priced me the two vacuum lines at about $60 a peice for VW replacement hoses. FYI.

~006

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
When I got my beetle, BOTH of the larger hoses from and to the secondary injection pump were cracked.

·
Registered
756 Posts
SoCalTurboS said:
Interesting indeed. I will most likely inspect those rivets then replace the lines. Apparently, VW doesn't sell a vaccuum line "kit" for the Turbo S. When I replaced my lines on my 2000 1.8t I simply bought a vaccuum line kit from the dealer but now they are charging me $12 per meter instead. Weird.

I'll let you guys know what happens! I think it's funny how most everyone here will avoid the dealership at all costs! Me included! :)
I got my vacuum hose kit from the dealership, (2003 Turbo S) you need to have them run your VIN to get the right hose kit though... If I remember right the whole kit was under $30-$40 and comes complete with the DV line and all the check valves already installed as well...

·
Rebecca
41 Posts
HI, I would like to add a question to the thread. If the hoses look practically brand new should I still replace them? Only one looked bad and that one was replaced but CEL came back on. Check hoses to secondary intake instead?

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,429 Posts
rramirez26 said:
Only one looked bad and that one was replaced but CEL came back on.
Do you have your own scanner to reset the CEL???

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just had my P0411 repaired by a local VW shop. Not the vacuum lines. The valve that lets exhaust to the catalytic converter (about $150 I think) was stuck open. This allowed backflow to the pump which ruined it ($700). + labor.:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts