NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, Loki's gone and done it again. :(

Back in September I had a situation where the CEL went on, and the car shook violently at low speed and it was worst at idle. When the car's in park, the shaking is significantly reduced. The tach needle bounces like a ball when it's shaking! The dealership said it was the coil pack and a throttle body problem. They fixed both and then the electrical system threw a fault and they had to call VW for assistance in clearing it.

The dealership was great and sent me a 6-page summary of everything they did. Loki is only at 35K miles and is still under warranty, so I didn't pay a dime for the repairs.

This morning while driving to work, the same exact thing happened - idling at a stoplight, when the shaking started. Within 30 seconds the CEL went on. I should mention that we're in the middle of a Nor'easter at the moment so the roads aren't fabulous to drive on.

The car is driveable in this condition but it sucks to drive it slow because of the shaking, and today with the snow I have no choice but to go slow - the dealership told me to bring it on over this morning and they'd get started on figuring out what's wrong. They're only 7 miles from my office, but it means my husband needs to get his '92 Olds Cutlass (no traction control) out on the snowy roads on his day off to chauffeur me back to the office! It would be my luck that Loki would break in the middle of a snowstorm. :rolleyes:

I don't know if they replaced all the coil packs back in September or just the bad one. They replaced the throttle body as well and my hope is the new one wouldn't have broken after less than 2500 miles.

Should I push the dealership to check anything else? Vaccum lines, fuel pump, MAF, etc.? Although I'm an engineer I don't do any work on my car myself and I'm not sure what else could make the car shake so much at idle. I trust them but I do NOT want this problem recurring every few months until Loki's off warranty. Since Loki is still under warranty I'm willing to let them do what they want, but I want it FIXED this time.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Personally, I'd demand a 125 point inspection with a write up and signature for each. I'm rather anal retentive, though. I do think you should ensure that the car works fine, and cite the obvious reason: SNOW!

Good luck! Loki will be OK soon. The shaking is bad, my friend's 98 does it cause cyl#3 keeps misfiring (and no one seems to be able to figure out why).

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I can bet ..that they only replaced one coilpack, demand that they changed all 4, also see the vag com log or ask for the prinout, it should read something like "cyl number ## misfire" that means the coilpack is bad.

VW made me go 4 times to the stealership because in Mexico they just have to change the affected part !!! In the USA they have to change all because of an nhtsa recall.

hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Ooh ooh! I know! Coil packs! :clap:

Oh, this isn't a quiz? I know that symptom. I had the very same one! Coil packs! :)

Make them fix it! :mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it was the coil packs again because the throttle body was malfunctioning for a while without an obvious affect on performance. The dealership discovered the throttle body problem while diagnosing the coil pack problem back in September.

I thought VWoA instructed dealerships to replace ALL coil packs on affected vehicles? We figured they changed them all out and this wouldn't be a problem again. I definitely should have read the paperwork more carefully.

No call yet from the dealership but Loki's only been there an hour and a half. The weather is getting more miserable by the hour, so it looked like not all their techs made it in today. If it is the coil packs they need to replace all of them this time around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They just called. It's a coil pack again and is all fixed. Due to the snow, I'm having Mr. Katiebug pick me up at work and we're just going to get home and stay there. We'll pick Loki up tomorrow morning.

They are not replacing the others and did not give me a good explanation why they aren't. I'm stuck at work but will be calling VWoA to find out whether the dealership was supposed to replace them all or not. This is the SECOND coil pack failure in 3 months.

I informed the gentleman from the dealership of that and asked why the others weren't replaced. Apparently my coils are not from the "bad" batches.

:mad:

Not that I care - Loki's still under warranty for a while. I just want it fixed if VWoA says it needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
with all the snow and the cold temps, it must have looked like Loki caught a cold and was shivering....:D (Loki pulls up to a red light, shivers and coughs..."bless you" says the F-150 next to him...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bananarama said:
with all the snow and the cold temps, it must have looked like Loki caught a cold and was shivering....:D (Loki pulls up to a red light, shivers and coughs..."bless you" says the F-150 next to him...)
:D Great visual! Yeah, Loki did look like she was shivering in the snow...

(yes, we know the mythical Loki was male - our Loki suits the name but is pretty female, probably because it's MY car ;) )

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Off topic, but my daughters kitty cat is named Loki. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Cheat said:
Because the coilpack isn't pard of the affected batch, they only have to replace the failing one.
How do I know if mine are from the bad batch? Is it something I can check myself or do I need to rely on the dealership to let me know?

After my experience with my old dealer, I'm kind of gun-shy. I like the new place a lot but I just don't have a history with them and I want to double check for my own knowledge.

Bad batch or not, with two coils going in the last 3 months I don't have a lot of hope that the others won't eventually fail, either.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Katie DO THIS !

Make them show you the bad coilpack, it should have a H leter at the end of the part number the GOOD ones have a J or later letter.

TELL THE to inspect the others and if they are no J or later DEMAND TO HAVE THEM CHANGED, if they refuse for any reason have a paper ready for them to sign up and provide you of a loaner and handle all expenses because of a failed coil pack MAKE THE M SIGN IT !

Will work like charm.

good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, an update -

Mr. Katiebug and I were headed to the gym this morning and were sitting at a stop light when all of a sudden I felt that rough idle creeping in. I told him, "Another coil pack just went" and within 30 seconds the CEL went on and the idle was very rough. Fortunately we were close to home and got Loki back within a minute or two. It's really sad that by the third time this happens, you KNOW what's going on.

Got home, called the dealership, told them what was up. They don't do service Saturday afternoons or Sundays so we're going to drop Loki off this afternoon it'll wait until Monday. Fortunately my husband works part time and has this Monday off, so he can chauffeur me to work and then to the dealership to pick the car up, but I have to change my Monday work schedule because I will not have transportation to/from our company test facility. :mad: I need my car available to me during the work day because of the nature of my work and it is most inconvenient to have these unexpected car-less days. And I'm fortunate that hubby has Monday off and can give me rides - we don't have public transportation as an option. Plus, if Loki isn't fixed by Monday at around 4 PM, I'll be forced to miss my grad class that night because I'll have no way to get there. Not cool.

The first one went in September, the second one in December, and now this one in February. We're right on a 2-2.5 month schedule for losing these. So the fourth one should go south sometime between my finals at grad school, and our wedding anniversary. :rolleyes: At least then we'll know that there are no more to break.

This time they will need to show me the broken coil pack, and if it is indeed an H series, I'm calling VWoA. If it's not an H coil pack, I'll even be willing to pay out of pocket to have the fourth one replaced now so that I won't have to worry about when it's going to die on me - I just want this stupid problem fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:confused: Well, three down, one to go.

I have to give credit to the dealership...they saved the busted coil pack for me so I could check the serial number. It was a J coil pack. The service guy said that they've seen other cars with J coil packs that have the exact same problems as the old H coil packs, but that VW's recall was only for H, so they can't replace the last old one. He was actually really apologetic that the only thing they can do is wait for the last one to die.

Thank heavens each time it's happened, I've been driving at relatively low speeds (so the sudden loss of power wasn't causing a dangerous situation) and I've been close enough to a dealership that I could get it there. Also, each time I've needed to obtain alternate transportation.

At the very least, this problem is an inconvenience and at worst it could cause an accident. The same failures in older coilpacks were considered worthy of a recall.

I'm writing to VWoA. I want to see if they'd be willing to authorize the replacement of the last old coil pack at my next scheduled maintenance visit. I have the paperwork detailing each failure, down to which cylinder was affected. It stands to reason by anyone with half a brain that if I've had 3 coil pack failures in the last 5 months, it's only a matter of time before the last one fails.

I don't have much hope that VWoA will approve the replacement of the last old coil pack before it fails, but at least they will be aware that it's not ONLY the H coil packs that have problems.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Wow. All of mine were replaced at the first poop, and have not given me any more trouble. Good luck to you, with VWoA.
Wow. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stupid question, how come the dealer doesn't drive you to work and pick you up when the car is done. My dealer here does it. Even if the car is out of warrenty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PurpleHaze said:
Stupid question, how come the dealer doesn't drive you to work and pick you up when the car is done. My dealer here does it. Even if the car is out of warrenty.
The dealership that I take Loki to now doesn't have a courtesy shuttle. They do provide loaners to all Touareg, major service, and warranty customers. The one time they had to keep the car longer than one working day, they provided me with a paid rental since all the loaners were out. :)

Also, it's not really getting to/from work that's the problem - we have a testing facility 7 miles away from the office that I often need to travel to/from during my work day. There's not much aside from a loaner that can be done to help that situation.

The old dealership (which I am very pissed at) is where I bought Loki and serviced the car for 2 years...they're closer to home than the new dealership and offered a courtesy van but I wouldn't go back there if they paid me! :mad:

I will be sending the letter to VWoA by the end of the week. It's a bummer; this is the only issue I've had with Loki in 2.5 years (aside from a damaged tire which was my fault). I guess I should be glad I have another 12K miles on my warranty!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts