NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was stopped at a red light yesterday and suddenly boom my CEL goes on. So today I went to AutoZone to borrow one of their OBD's to scan the car and I got
P0440:EVAP Emission Control System Failure
and
P0172:System Too Rich(Bank1)

I go back inside to AZ and ask what the first one meant. The guy at the counter pretty much said that it's probably a bad gas cap. So I asked on the second one and he said that an O² sensor is bad. My Q is: Is he correct? Ok so I'm thinking it was a fluke to get 2 codes at the same time and that it's probably nothing, so I cleared them. My next Q is: Being that I cleared the codes and if the problems still exists will the CEL go on again? and, am I better off changing the O² sensor and the gas cap?

This kinda sucks because 1. I'm low on $ and 2. I'm suppose to be taking a 1500 mile trip south of the border tomorrow and if I'm going to have to toss $ into the car I won't be going anywhere:(

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Could be air in the tank. quite common. but it also be a bad o2 sensor. i think i had that problem with my 02. they say if the gas cap isnt screwed on tight enough that could happen, but i dunno. someone here will know, i'm sure.

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that you mentioned it, it might be air in the tank. I did pump gas 30 mins. to an hour prior to the CEL going on. I was running on fumes(right on E) so that might explain one code. Hopefully the other one was just fluke(crosses fingers).

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Yes, those codes could be for the O2 sensor, and a lose gas cap. The good news is that VW is selling the O2 sensors cheap. San Juan Capistrano VW would be a good place to get the O2 sensors.
A bad vacuum hose could also trigger the P0440 code.
Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to buy insurance before crossing the border.

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll give SJC VW a call to see how much the O² runs... AutoZone quoted me a price of $123.99 for an OEM O². Is VW selling the O²'s cheap in all the VW dealers or just select ones? Reason I ask is because there's a VW dealer in Santa Ana which is like 15 minutes away, and SJC is like 35 to 45 minutes away.
I just looked @ my NB Haynes Manual and noticed that the NB has 2 O² sensors. How can I tell if it's the front or the rear sensor that's bad?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Too rich code could be O2 sensor - but on my car it was a bad MAF.

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
You could, for grins, replace your gas cap / seal FIRST and then wait 3 cycles and see if that pesky little ECU doesn't just go and turn itself off. Then you might see if that mysterious O2 issue is for real or not. If it is for real, it will pop up again.

Please tell me if i'm a crazy man

1 - 7 of 7 Posts