NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One month ago, I purchased a used 2004 New Beetle 1.8 L Turbo S convertible and tried to familiarize myself with all of its gadgets. A problem happened with the locking mechanism on the center-console compartment. First, I tried out the lid lock while the lid was open. No problem, but after having closed the lid again and turned the key, the lock did not release the mechanism. The lid does not open anymore and with the wheel anti-theft adapter locked inside, it could become critical issue. What could be done without destroying the lock ? Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I guessed your car was a convertible before I even read the info in the body of the post!!

I have a 2003, same thing happened to my car. Not sure what happened or why, still broken as I type this.

It was a LONG time ago, so I do not recall exactly what I did to one the console.

I think I pulled up on the console lid and somehow was able to use needle nose pliers to grab the locking hook and spin it to the point that I could finally open the console. I may have had to also use a flat screw driver to hold the locking loop from moving back while I repositioned the pliers.

I recall it was not easy, I did it by myself, if you have help it would be easier.

Once I got the console opened again, I left the top locked and have no issues with it.

Removing the console and trying to repair the lock is VERY low on my priority list with all the other issues I have been addressing!

Once you get your wheel lock out of the console, put it in the foam jack holder in the trunk where there is a specific place to the wheel lock. This way as long as you can get in your trunk you are in good shape!

·
Registered
14,079 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Just as an FYI, if you have a 'vert, you have a regular 1.8T, not the Turbo S. The Turbo S was only offered in the hardtops.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Billymade,

Thanks for the link on the console lock access. It is raining cats and dogs now, but if it is easy, I may check out removing the side panel if this is the case.

I was going to remove the seats and console at some point for other reasons, so I figured that would be as good of a time to address it then, but maybe I can check something else off my list quickly without as much effort.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jfoj,
I'll try to use a needle-nose pliers together with a flat blade and see if I get it open that way. I tried drowning the lock in W4, thinking it might be a stuck lock pin. It didn't work. If the pliers don't work either, I may just saw it open and repair the lock through the side panels. The VW-workshop people were of no help with advise!
I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
hhknippi, as the link talks about; you do not need to destroy anything to open the side panel, then, you are supposed to have access to the lock mechanism and you can open the console. Then, you could replace whatever parts need fixed, I am assuming it is the lock tumbler. Maybe jfoj; can take some pics of the process, don't saw anything or destroy any parts at this point, I'm sure they are very expensive. Try to remove the side panel and go from there. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
billymade, you are right. I would not destroy anything prior to applying other options. However, isn't the side panel secured by fasteners located under the console lid ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I considered the option to saw "it" open, I meant cutting the arched locking pin under the lid.:D

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Well, I haven't worked on a 'vert console before but from what the exploded view shows; you can remove the panel and then, you would be able to access the lock... open it by turning the linkage/tumbler from there damage free. Obviously, we all need to stop discussing and just fix it and get it done! LOL! :) At some point; you need to jump in and fix it! :)

To quote Yoda: " No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. ."
:cool:

Quote from the link:

The whole panel on the passenger side comes out and you can access the lock (and anything else) from there. To remove the side panel move the pass seat to its most forward position and tilt the backrest forward.

Refer to the pics from there to remove panel (21) and access the lock.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Here some pictures, however, I am not tearing the console apart today.

It dues look like the side panel of the console could easily come off with the seat pulled all the way forward and flipped up.

Here is a picture of the locking hook. Note this picture is from the rear looking forward so it is backwards while you would be trying to open it from the front.

The other picture is the bottom of the console lid, there is what appears to be a small plastic tab the locking hoop/hook goes around.

What I recall I did was put the key in and try to unlock the console, turned the key firmly toward unlock. In doing so the lock loop/hook moved about 75% of the way, but would not move the rest of the distance. Then I took a flat blade screwdriver and maybe an 2nd screwdriver to manually move the loop more toward the open direction. I used one screw driver to keep the loop from moving back toward the locked position again as I could only move the loop a small amount each time.

When working properly the locking loop will turn quite far and go all the way back into the small slot next to the bumper as seen on the right side of the picture. Remember this is a backwards shot, so from the front of the console you need to move the locking loop toward the drivers side.

Hopefully this makes some sense??

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you for your valuable suggestion. I succeeded in opening the lid with two utility-knife blades within 5 minutes working as you described ! My needle-point pliers are too thick to fit in between console and lid and still living enough space for wiggling the arched locking mechanism downwards. However, your idea helped. Now I can work on the lock itself. Great pictures !! :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Glad you were able to work it open, it is not too hard if you understand how to move the loop.

I can't recall 100% for sure what tools I used, I usually have a Leatherman tool around so I may have used the knife blade and another screw driver to hold the loop from moving back into the locking position?

If you get around to repairing your lock before I do, post the info up here.

If I get around to repairing mine I will update this thread.

My key turns, it just is binding and will not spin the locking loop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts