NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched high and low for a "how to" for removal of the center console and shift gate for the Tiptronic shifter on a 2003 NBC but I cannot find one.

I need to remove the console and shifter to replace the tiptronic switch magnets that have apparently fallen off.

I have found information on removing the shift knob but not the console and shifter and I do not wish to damage or scratch my console (or break anything).

Can anyone give me a step-by-step instruction on removing these parts so that I can replace the magnets?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here you go (shifter and shifter cover R&R at the end)! Be careful removing the front power point bezel, concealed clips are fragile and break easily (mine's broke from the PO)..

MORAV

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
A DIY for the NB Gen II console would be a great addition to the Org. I need to R&R mine (I can do it from the above, but any tough spots or tricks you encounter will be appreciated), because now I have to replace the rear cup holder, Grand-Daughter had it out, and then stepped on it and broke if off. Ouch!

M.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here you go (shifter and shifter cover R&R at the end)! Be careful removing the front power point bezel, concealed clips are fragile and break easily (mine's broke from the PO)..

MORAV
Where did you get the attached pictures from? I just got the Bently service manual that was printed in 2010 and this was not in there. This is one of the things I was looking for. :) Wondering if there is something else out there that I should get that has a bit more like the pics you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to do this job on my 2005 NB because my son borrowed it and spilled a large quantity of sugary soft drink in the front swivel cup holder, "gluing" it in place. Thanks to MyOtherRidesAVette's post above, I was able to get it done with a minimum of drama. I followed the first set of instructions, "Center Console, 05.03 through 06.05, Convertable, Removing and Installing".

While those instructions are very good and mostly complete, here are a few tips not covered:
  • You can remove the front swivel cup holders by prying the whole assembly up. It's held in by 8 (I think) metal spring clips. So technically, I didn't have to remove my whole console; but that's OK, it was all dirty and needed a good cleaning anyway.
  • To remove the rear 12V power source, flip it out and pry off the cover plate in which the receptacle is mounted. Disconnect the wires from the back, and set the cover plate aside. Squeeze the sides of the "drawer" and continue to pull it until it comes free.
  • To remove the rear cup holder, remove the whole rear console panel, which will bring the cup holder with it. Pry at the top toward the rear of the car until it comes loose.
  • The instructions include a step to remove the side panels of the console: "Unclip cover - 21 - and pull out upward.". To unclip, pry the top of each panel outward (left or right). The easiest way to do this is to start at the rear and insert a lever at the very top behind the panel and pry the rearmost clip free, then work forward. When all the top clips have released, pull upward at the front of the panel.
I hope this helps someone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts