VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I searched some info in the forum and also in the Bentley's manual but couln't find what i need to know.

Is it possible to remove only the central air vents (above the radio) without removing the entire central dash (i don't have the VW radio removal tools)?

Actually, i turn too further to the left the button that you use to close/open the cental vents and i want to take one of them out to fix it.

Thanks alot for your help.

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,455 Posts
Your dash on your car , being a 2000 1.6, may be different than my '99 2.0. This week I had the dealer disengage my audio head with the special tool so that I could do some audio related work. While in there I accidentally detached the bar that connects the wheel to the vent damper. Mine just snapped back into place. Yours may be as simple (though I did skin up the back of my hand a little while fishing around in there). You'll definitely need to have the service advisor or technician release that head for you (my dealer wouldn't let me buy the tool). The head slides back in and the side-clips snap into position when you're done. Hope you don't need to replace that vent mechanism...

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,455 Posts
Oyveychris said:
You can also use the metal bars from hanging file folders to get your radio out...Worked for me.
You know what? That is BRILLIANT!!! That appears to be about right. I'll give that a try tomorrow just for fun...MAN!

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what you're saying here (old thread I know) is that you can't remove the center vents at all? Can you access the back of the vents by removing the head unit? I would assume that you can't, since the vent seems sealed in a tube.

I just got a vent mount for an iPod, and ruined one of my center air vents in the process of removing the mount. One of the horizontal louvers (slats) broke, and both of the "guides" for the vertical and horizontal controls snapped off of their tracks on the back of the louvers. Do I have to replace the whole center console to fix this since the vents themselves are glued in?

Is there any easy way to snap the "guides" back into place on the back of the vent louvers without causing more damage?

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Im in the midst of fixing a set of my own vents. After a lot of searching, this is is of very few threads on the internetz about fixing the vents on a beetle. Strange since it doesnt seem like a rare event.

The air on and off wheel can be fixed. If you find a mysterious little plastic bar sitting on the floor with balls at each end, thats the missing piece. It pops back in as indicated above. If you dint have that piece it doesnt appear to be available as a separate part even though it has a number of its own. Thats ok, i have a fix ill post soon that non destructively fixes that.

For floppy fins, im working on that too. Its a common problem with corrados, and they have kits to fix theirs. Our part is a different shaped plastic piece of the same function. Ive tried a variety of diy pieces with no luck. That little piece has such close tolerances its hard to duplicate. Ive got a vent coming from ebay im going to extract it from and see if it can be transplanted. ..more info in that soon as well.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,017 Posts
i took mine out by heating up the post they are plastic welded to with an old soldering iron i wasnt going to use again. i had to take mine out to carbon fiber them. when i reapplied them i tried the soldering iron trick and it didnt work. so i grooved the post with a file and jb welded them. never had a problem with them and they look like they never came out.

-jd

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Nice.. yeah that plastic solder thing is a pretty poor choice.

For future reference.. the outside air vents (near the doors) pry out from the bottom, and come out. They do no as it turns out, require removing the entire dashboard surface. I say as stare at my dashboard sitting on the counter. ..so hopefully someone in the future wont have to do the same amount of extra work that I did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the same boat and would love to get a fix. Mine came with the right vent wheel missing; no parts found in the car. I've found several used vents on eBay which I'm guessing I can steal parts out of?? Obviously, I would like to repair this without dash removal or any major surgery.

Again, this is the right/center vent near the radio, not the outer/right one near the glove box.

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
Now Im just far enough away from my rebuild to not remember how to get to that vent specifically. Those I didnt have to deal with so much. It was all the other ones for me.
The wheel is easy enough to fix once you get access though. Theres usually just a plastic rod that has fallen out. It has a ball on each end that fits into little fingers on the wheels and the vent piece.

If you see a cheap vent, definitely look to that. I would take it apart first though. The needed rod was still there in 2 of my vents, so I just needed parts for 2 others. They had apparently been used to roughly and just slipped out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had the horizontal and the verticals detached on the passenger vent of the center console. One vane was also missing to the far right ( probabally way down in the air box ) I had the alien head out to do some repairs anyway and was able to reattach the two retention clips by gripping them from outside the vent and pulling them toward me while pushing the vane with my index finger until it snapped back in place. You need a small hobby type pair of needle nose pliers with a good reach. It works fine now - even with the missing vane. The vertical connector I had completely unattached accidently and thought I would never get it back but I incerted it above the top vane as far as it would go and snapped it to the last connection. At that point it dropped to position allowing me to make the other connections as mentioned above.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice.. yeah that plastic solder thing is a pretty poor choice.

For future reference.. the outside air vents (near the doors) pry out from the bottom, and come out. They do no as it turns out, require removing the entire dashboard surface. I say as stare at my dashboard sitting on the counter. ..so hopefully someone in the future wont have to do the same amount of extra work that I did.
Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts