VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, wondering if someone can help. I've got a 2000 new beetle which has central locking but neither of the remote keyfobs came with the car, and I was hoping to be able to wire an aftermarket door open/close remote into the drivers door and tap into the central lock/unlock switch, which is working fine.
Taking the door panel off I find four wires going to that door lock/unlock switch, a yellow which has a voltage, which when touched to any of the other three wires (two brown/blue and a blue/grey) will unlock both front doors.
I cannot figure out though how this switch is closing the doors - what connections does it make - anyone know?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It sounds like the previous owner had issues of some kind, door module, cluster, ignition or maybe just the key itself. All of these are common to Vw’s. One of the common fixes is an immobilizer delete. Which means any key cut for the ignition will work and not trigger the immo system.

When you turn your ignition on all the lights on the dash will briefly light. Do you see a little car shaped light with what looks like a key where the tires would be? It will be at the top of your cluster either at about 11 o’clock or 1 o’clock I don’t remember which.

When an immo delete is done that light will flash continuously once the car is on unless you cover that light with electric tape or paint the bulb black. I have used electric tape on my daughters bug because of a cluster replacement. If you cannot find that light you very well may have a car with the delete done.

A dealer can probably code your existing keys to your car. Or sell you a new key and code that one. They tend to be pricey, which is one reason immo deletes are done, but it might be easier than an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I solved it myself - after extensive searching I found a diagram that shows that the doors switch has a resistor when operated one way, not the other.
Grounding the yellow wire unlocks the doors. Grounding it with a 1k resistor locks the doors.
Now working via a cheap aftermarket door lock/unlock kit from Amazon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts