NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After leaving my car on the drive for sometime over the holidays, in terrible weather I might add, the battery went flat? After charging it again and starting the car I now have a problem with the drivers side door which will not open/lock with the remote fob?? I disconnected the battery and re-connected it which seem to do the trick....until I started the ignition.... on switching it off I tried to lock the doors with the remote fob and it would only lock/open the passenger side??

Everything else works fine..windows/immobiliser/mirrors/petrol cap/boot release...

Any ideas :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hello and welcome to New Beetle.org the funnest place To learn about your new New Beetle. I know on my new Beetle the driver's door will not lock unless I unlock it first when I go to set the alarm. If that makes any sense. So try to hit the unlock button first and then lock it. That's what works for mine. I don't know why it does that, it's done it it's been like that for 10 years. So that's how I have to do it to make it lock and be able to set the alarm. :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Suggest you first check the battery in your keyfob.

Then if the battery in the keyfob is good, check the owners manual on how to relearn the keyfob(s). Most keyless entry systems need to relearn ALL keyfobs together otherwise you will knock other keys out of the memory.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Try locking with the key and holding it for 10+ seconds. On my 98 it will beep when it locks and then beep again after holding it for that time and that always seems to reset the remote fob so it works properly.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
After leaving my car on the drive for sometime over the holidays, in terrible weather I might add, the battery went flat? After charging it again and starting the car I now have a problem with the drivers side door which will not open/lock with the remote fob?? I disconnected the battery and re-connected it which seem to do the trick....until I started the ignition.... on switching it off I tried to lock the doors with the remote fob and it would only lock/open the passenger side??

Everything else works fine..windows/immobiliser/mirrors/petrol cap/boot release...

Any ideas :)
A bad door latch could cause your battery to go dead (it thinks the door is open leaving lights on and such) as well as not locking the door since it thinks the door is open. Very common for door latches to go bad in these cars. There is some process to replace just the microswitch, but it is a pain in the backside, IMO and easier just to replace the latch. If you had a VAG COM you could check and see if the computer thinks the door latch is open when it is actually closed, but also the light would be telling as well as the key in the ignition noise going on even though the door is closed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suggest you first check the battery in your keyfob.

Then if the battery in the keyfob is good, check the owners manual on how to relearn the keyfob(s). Most keyless entry systems need to relearn ALL keyfobs together otherwise you will knock other keys out of the memory.
Reset it with the keyfob and it works.... until you switch the ignition on and it go's back to not opening or locking again????
Very Confused :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts