VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a squeal start on my front right brake. The pads (Akebono euro ceremic) and rotors ( Meyle) only have 12k miles on them. I found the outer pad was not seated properly. Removed pads, put CRC Brake Quiet on the backs, lubed pins, torqued everything back. Went on a 15 min test drive in town. No squeal developed. Hopefully it will stay that way!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My daughters gave me a Kenwood Excelon X597 headunit for Father's Day. Has Bluetooth hands free calling, bt music transfer, front USB, and much more. Also has variable color display! I installed it and ran the mic to the top of the drivers A-Pillar. This thing rocks! Electronics Technology Electronic device Multimedia Vehicle audio Vehicle Car Yellow Subcompact car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Auto part Car Yellow Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Sky Vehicle audio Vehicle Car Electronics City car

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I had the infamous cracked brake booster hose that is so common with tdi's. I used a section of 3/8 real nylon tubing and a heat gun to make my own. Works as good as the $50 ones, but only cost me $2. Fuel line Wire Water Cable Technology

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not my NB, but since we were in the Passat I thought if post. 2007 Passat B6 3.6L during a Sharknado attack in North Myrtle Beach! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Sedan

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
100k timing belt kit and while in there I might as well replace the accessory belt idler pulley and tensioner. Awesome parts and prices from Andrew at fixmyvw.com
I added my own coolant since I already had it. Everyday carry Auto part Tool Lock
When I ordered online there was a box labeled "Special Request". I asked for a kitty Kat to be drawn on the box. Well they came through with an even better kitty cat printed on the outside of the shipping box! Awesome ! Let's you know they are reading what the customer says! Text Fictional character Paper

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm Happy, Happy, Happy.
Got my timing belt kit installed today at 168k miles. At the same time, the coolant was totally replaced. The serpentine belt tensioner and serpentine belt idler pulley. Parts from Andrew at fixmyvw.com and installation done by DJ's VW. DJ has worked on VW's for me since the 80's! He built a 1835cc aircooled for my '71 that had a tilt fiberglass front end. He worked on my '87 Scirocco (I bought it new). And now he's done my tdi timing belt. He is a 40 year experience VW only shop.

Parts changed:
Continental Timing belt
INA 100k roller kit
Litens tensioner with damper
Hepu waterpump
Gates green serpentine belt
Litens serpentine belt tensioner
SKF idler roller
Elring cam seal
vacuum pump seal
G12++ coolant
All bolts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What nylon tubing did you use; I used some PEX tubing but I am concerned about heat issues, is your nylon tubing anything special or heat resistant? Any info; appreciated! Thanks! :)

I'll try to find any info. I use a TGA and DSC in my line of work. If I can't find the info, I'll test it myself with the instruments. If you want to mail me a piece (2 inches is way more than enough) of the PEX, I can do the same with it. Let me know, and I'll send you my shipping address. Want cost anything other than you sending me a piece.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, for the 1.8t; the shape is somewhat of a drastic "s" shape, I got the pex plastic pipe to work but it is more of a temporary fix. Because of the closeness to the turbo and exhaust, heat is a possible issue, especially being in the desert. Here is the part; I am freer ring to, more drastic shape then the tdi,: http://www.carid.com/2002-volkswage...T8ko9yJSC03G4WNvWSaa5uslx8nHjJlyQoaAmas8P8HAQ

The other option; was a upgraded silicone version, these guys make on but not for the new new beetle:

SPULEN engineering 2.0TSI Brake Booster Hose
Model:SE-040
Our price:$44.99

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/SPULEN-2.0TSI-Brake-Booster-Hose-.html

The shape is very close to the new beetle version; I was tempted to buy it and MAKE it work! :) I've contacted Spulen through Facebook but the have not responded.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The VW part on my Tdi was nylon. That's why I went back with nylon when trying to make my own. I have had no issues and as you know the tdi also has a turbo. I have a 1.8t in my Audi A4 and the turbo is nowhere near the brake booster line in that car. Both of these engines run at approximately 200F, and nylon and PEX each have a melting point above 220C (>420F). I think your fine. I would consider a different bend, perhaps like a coil. It doesn't have to look the same as the oem.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts