NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm still zeusenergy.
I know it's been a while but I've been busy with life and such.
The bug is still around and I'm currently redoing it over in my own style, if you want to call it that. Minimalist is the word here. I don't care about having a complete interior, or working creature comforts. You'll see why below...
Anyway, I've been considering doing a flat black exterior since my door got bashed in on the driver side. I have the scoop on a new door for cheap money, but it's not the same color as my car. As it is, I did a rattle can job on my roof, rockers, tailgate, and hood already with satin black. On the silver color, it does look great. For a repaint of my door color matched- it will be far more expensive than redoing it all in flat black. But then I thought- why not do chalkboard paint? It looks very similar anyway.
And just think of all the fun you can have with a rolling chalkboard?
A couple friends of mine repainted an old datsun with spray paint and let everyone have fun writing all over it once. We used to drive around with it and got pulled over all the time, but then the windows were smashed out and it was horribly broken and ghetto. My plans are a bit more thought out, and the writing on my car will be temporary. Just spray it down for a clean "Slate"

My kids and wife are all for it. My wife thinks I'm nuts for removing the interior parts, but the sales of the parts are helping us out right now. I've been out of work for a long time. This coming spring I'll be repainting, and wanted to get impressions from you guys to see what you think of the idea and if anyone has ever seen chalkboard paint on a new beetle before? I haven't!

The car has no dashboard at all right now. I'm in the process of getting a new dash panel made out of sheet metal. Why strip the interior out? Because I want more along the lines of what the OLD beetle used to be- full metal interior. Simple uncluttered dash. LIGHT WEIGHT. So far I have cut 450 lbs off the original weight, and added close to 75 HP to the power of the engine with Eurodyne Maestro. Along with the new transmission with close ratio Eurospec gears, Quaife differential, VR6 clutch and ECS flywheel, 3" turbo back exhaust, etc..... the car now performs with a power to weight ratio of a 2008 Subaru STi. That's pretty good for me, and great for a beetle. :D
So lemme know what you think of chalkboard paint and any tips you might have about the stuff- including brands, spray or roll on, etc! Thanks;)

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
The whole ORG appears a bit stagnant lately...

I've never seen it on a NB.

I think if you do it right, as in take your time, it can look quite good. If it were my project, I'd find one of those graphics companies that do the chalk/paint for restaurant menu boards and have at least a few things on the car done permanently (that look like chalk)... If even just to instruct that it's ok to write on the car with chalk.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
I've seen an air-cooled bug rockin the chalkboard paint at one of our local shows...very cool looking. Your bug would look sweet with the chalkboard.

Another option would be plasi-dip. Its not chalkboard paint, but it would give you the same matte black finish. And if ever you change your mind, you can always peel it off.

I like the direction you're going in. Can't wait to see the final results :bigthumb:

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I say go for it. Heck you could paint the whole car for under $50. And the flat black look is in now. The only thing I would worry about is the paint is an interior product. I have no idea how long it will last in the elements. You could do the chalkboard then go over it with a satin finish to help protect it from the elements. But then you lose the "write & erase" aspect. My wife and I painted a 3x5 chalkboard on our kitchen wall. She is a teacher and I paint houses for a living, so it was a natural for us. We use it all the time. It's where my T.o.D checklist resides.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the technical stuff you did. My beetle now puts ~ 2650 pounds on the scale. How is yours? Sorry I can be no help with the chalkboard but i like the idea. that is really different :)
I got 2500 lbs on the scale and have not done a dyno yet. Judging by the power output of other 1.8T engines with my tune and upgrades, at the crank should be 225 HP, more like 195-200 at the wheels.
Chalkboard or not my car will be faded black by springtime. ZERO flash, zero show.... You'll get a kick out of my dashboard in a month or so. Keep an eye out for my dashboard thread!

·
Driver found.
373 Posts
Where are those 150 difference? Please more details about the weight reduction! I removed a lot from the engine bay, lightweight 1-mass-clutch, 18" oz ultraleggera wheels, recaro seats in, rear seats (+belts) out, race battery, even removed all bitumen coating on the inner body, floor mats.... overall you have a great hp/weight ratio :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are those 150 difference? Please more details about the weight reduction! I removed a lot from the engine bay, lightweight 1-mass-clutch, 18" oz ultraleggera wheels, recaro seats in, rear seats (+belts) out, race battery, even removed all bitumen coating on the inner body, floor mats.... overall you have a great hp/weight ratio :cool:
I have no dashboard. it may seem like a small thing, but it does have a lot of reinforcements in it. I still have the bitumen coating on the floors, not going that far!
Also, here is the list of removed items:

headliner
door cards
dashboard, complete
carpets
firewall insulation
airbags
AC, complete
Washer reservoir
Reduced bolt count on front and rear plastics, half removed
Intake manifold grinded down, no tabs or brackets
SAI removed, combi valve removed, n249 and n112
No evap, no PCV system
Removed entire stereo system and speakers along with harness going back to trunk and monsoon amp
Replaced DMF with SMF 14lb flywheel
All interior trim panels removed
Dashboard rebar brackets all grinded off

Plus a multitude of other stuff removed and deleted. I have a pile of bolts and nuts that weigh around 8 lbs!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I say go for it. Heck you could paint the whole car for under $50. And the flat black look is in now. The only thing I would worry about is the paint is an interior product. I have no idea how long it will last in the elements. You could do the chalkboard then go over it with a satin finish to help protect it from the elements. But then you lose the "write & erase" aspect. My wife and I painted a 3x5 chalkboard on our kitchen wall. She is a teacher and I paint houses for a living, so it was a natural for us. We use it all the time. It's where my T.o.D checklist resides.
I was thinking of leaving the hood, trunk, rockers all satin black so there is some contrast between those panels and the rest of the body in flat black. Even if it doesn't last I'm okay with it, repainting the chalkboard finish isn't hard and I want it to look "worn"
Was thinking also to use some of the chalkboard paint to do things in the house too! It would be cool to have a wall like that!:p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen an air-cooled bug rockin the chalkboard paint at one of our local shows...very cool looking. Your bug would look sweet with the chalkboard.

Another option would be plasi-dip. Its not chalkboard paint, but it would give you the same matte black finish. And if ever you change your mind, you can always peel it off.

I like the direction you're going in. Can't wait to see the final results :bigthumb:
Thanks for the input man. It's been awhile.... looked at the plastidip stuff before. It's more of a satin finish like what my hood and trunk already are- would like there to be a difference between those and the body. Different "blacks" if you will.... Be even better if I redo the roof in true gloss, rather than the rattle-can job I did years ago that has faded!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Sounds so cool. Can't wait to see the finished product. Is this for track use rather than street? Only ask because of all the deletes. Doesn't sound like something you're going to drive around town.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds so cool. Can't wait to see the finished product. Is this for track use rather than street? Only ask because of all the deletes. Doesn't sound like something you're going to drive around town.
New Hampshire does not have a visual inspection for under hood. They do however jack your car up and check all the suspension joints and brakes. We do have an OBD II plug in test, but no pipe sniff. The Maestro tuning unit allows for positive results on all deletes so no one can tell from a scan whats been done. Airbags are "optional" and do not have any test parameters here. Otherwise, all of the safety stuff the car came with is still here, bumper rebars, front belts, crumple zones etc. With the tune I use less fuel cruising than stock, so it's not like my car guzzles gas. And it's lighter, which means less fuel burned there too.
I'll be driving the car on the street until it rots out or an accident takes it from my hot little hands!:D

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Oh my...lol. Gotcha. I've just never seen that much deleted unless it was being run on a track. Don't know how long it would take before the radio delete would drive me crazy. More than a month, less than a year I'm sure. I'm not hooked on it; but I do like being able to listen to some background music while I drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,412 Posts
one of the guys in Volkswagen Club of Tidewater did his aircooled beetle in chalkboard paint...i'll send Kyle this link and see what he has to say...i just can't remember his .org handle.

can't wait to see it. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts