VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
cummings103
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife's new to her, 04 vert named Toodles, had a headlight out. So after I get sticker shock from Autozone. I ordered a set of bulbs from Amazon. Get ready to change and I find a mess of dry rotted wireing.
So after some surfing, some shopping, I find a new plug with pigtails on Amazon... a whole 20 bucks delivered.... so I wait cause they are coming from China.... yep, German car, Mexican and Chinese parts... winner, winner... well i chased the bad wire back til I found solid shielding and spliced the new in. They work great. My wife loves the way "Toodles" eyes light up....lol.... a few pics of the before and after... it's an easy install, just a lil time and patience. Looks good as new....Thanks everyone for a great New Beetle site.
I've really enjoyed the forms here. Who knew that a hot rod, muscle car guy would enjoy his wife's VW. Go figure....

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Looks good; unfortunately, a common problem. This vendor; makes a upgraded harness, for the other part of the wiring, that does the same thing.

VW BEETLE HEADLIGHT HARNESS

Got a link; you to your amazon plug and pigtail repair harness?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's the harness inside the headlight assembly, merely splicing into your existing internal-harness wires offers no improvement - it's just a band-aid as long as any bit of the original harness is used. Spring for the complete internal harness and you'll never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have yet to take the plunge for new interior harnesses. I think that FixmyVW's harnesses use heavier-gauge wire (that would have to be the necessary upgrade part of it for me).
I'm dreading shelling out the big $$$ for the OE headlights, but aftermarket headlights appear to all be of extremely-low quality (build and output).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just got a reply from fixmyvw.com:
Hi,

The harness is rewired with 16 gauge wire. The OEM harnesses are wired with 18 gauge wire. The lower the number, the heavier the wire. Also, the wire I use has marine quality insulation. The insulation is what fails on the OEM harnesses. I have sold hundreds of Beetle, Jetta, and Golf harnesses. They all come with a 5 year warranty. I have only had to replace a couple of harnesses and that was on Jetta harnesses because the customer used the wrong bulb and shorted out the wiring.

Sincerely,
Tony

·
Registered
87 Posts
What is wrong with your headlight assemblies; that you need to replace them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The lenses are decomposed beyond salvation. I have polished them many times, but one cannot polish out crazing; the reflectors, all inside bits, are also deteriorating - not worth trying to fix.
Since aftermarket headlight assemblies are by and large crap, I see no option to OEM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I am brand new to the forum and am reading up on the headlight harnesses. I have 2004 1.8 turbo convertible.

My mechanic reports that both are out and both need to be replaced due to the same description I've read in several posts (insulation flaking off). He quoted $250 for each harness but we thought that was absolutely nuts. Hence I came here.

He says the wiring harness is a 10-wire harness but the link to fixmyvw shows a 4-wire harness (actually a "3 plus 1" wire). My beetle has the fancy shmancy $100 bulbs. Can the fixmyvw harness work for my lights? It doesn't seem like that would work.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

With thanks!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would call or email; fixmyvw.com. I emailed them; about a different style plug/wires for my Turbo S, which is totally different, then the normal headlight setup, on most new beetle's. They replied; that they could make whatever style I needed, so you might contact them and see what they say. Let us know; what they tell you, so others can learn from your situation. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
is there one for the tail lights? all the little hooks/tabs have broken the plastic bulb socket holder that twist locks in to the housing.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Looking online; VW sells a whole new rear/trunk harness for about $85.

For example; possibly this one: Volkswagen Trunk Lighting Harness - Genuine VW 3C8971182E

https://www.google.com/search?q=Vol...hrome..69i57.403j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Now, VW does sell; individual parts, to repair wiring harnesses. For example, you can buy repair terminal ends, plug housings, clips, retainers and other parts, to repair an existing harness. I have done this; on various areas, on my New Beetle and it was cheaper, then buying and replacing a whole new harness (e.g. on my maf, ignition switch, coil packs, light plugs, etc.).

I also, have had to replace; a bunch of the tail light connectors/holders, as they age, the heat of the bulbs, melted the bulb holders and the lights, end up having connectivity issues. I ended up replacing a bunch of them on my car and I found, researching online, the afterket versions (Dorman), have horrible reviews and so, I went with Genuine VW parts on those. The best prices; that I could find, was on ebay, brand new ones, sold by "quirkparts", which is a actual VW dealer, that sells parts online.

So, you can get all the parts from the vw dealer or look for a aftermarket solutions. You might contact
fixmyvw.com and see if their supplier, can make you a repair harness, for your rear tail light issue.

Looking on ebay; there are used ones for sale and aftermarket plugs/pigtails. You might pull your plug/connector and identify the correct VW part number on the plug and then, you can search online for a plug/pigtail repair set.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...onnector+W/+Pigtail++taillight&LH_TitleDesc=0

If you can post up; the problems and damage, to your rear tail lights, maybe we can see what you are referring to. Thanks.

PS: I am finding two part #'s; for the different rear plugs/bulbs, different #'s of pins/size etc.

1J0 973 723

https://www.google.com/search?q=1J0...n0KHS4QCqMQ_AUICSgA&biw=1067&bih=512&dpr=1.75

1J0 973 722

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1.....0...1.1j2.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.j9FELjeYaZ8

So, in these two part #'s; assuming, they are correct, there are plug/pigtail repair kits, sold for these and you could just splice them in, repair complete. Many of these, tend to be made in China and the quality, may not be as high, as genuine VW parts but you could give it a shot. You might buy them; from a vendor, like Amazon and that way, you could easily return them, if they turn out to be poor quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts