NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dreams Come True
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some kickers for the rear. Is there a video or write up on changing these? I looked around a little and didnt see anything..

thanks for any help.

·
Dreams Come True
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where I ordered speakers from. I get them Monday.. Not sure if they come with a write up on how to or not. I looked on youtube for a video didnt see anything.. Thats how I learned to remove door panel to start the process of fixing my window. Didn't know if someone knows where a write up or video would be. I'm guessing the side panel as to be removed..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Likely the rear seat will need to be removed.

The rear seat bottom is easy to remove, no tools, just pull up on the bottom front corners. My convertible may be different, however the seat bottom will then pull forward with a metal guide rod that will need to be released to fully remove the seat bottom.

The back of the seat may also need to be removed, should be 2 bolts at the bottom of the seat. Rear head rests may also need to be removed. Rear of seat slide straight up to release it from the 2 "U" channels.

Not sure how side panel is mounted, may be some screws, might be a screw or 2 under the arm rest? Likely the panel has push in plastic fasteners as well.

Hope this is at least partially helpful

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
actually the rear seat does not need to be removed. I have done all the speakers in my NB. Lift up the rear seat, fold down the back, and then start prying along the edges of the wall panel. The panel will snap out and then lift up. It also wraps around the seat belt pillar. Leave the front seat forward and leave the trunk lid open so you have room to work. Once the panel is off, there will be four screws to take off behind the speaker. You will need a very large Phillips head for this, and preferably a long one. You will need to use a bit of force, due to the awkward angle, but they will come out. once that is out, you will need to adapt the wiring harness to accept the new speakers. Cut the plug off the wires and crimp/solder spade connectors onto the end. since the wires are so small it would probably be easiest to solder. plug them in, turn on the stereo, and test the speakers to make sure they are working correctly. if they are working, congrats. install the new speakers, replace the panels (easiest way is to do the top clips, then around the seatbelt, and then snap back in) and do one more test to make sure they are working. When I replaced mine I actually ran a new amp as well, but that was my choice.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Note that I only have a convertible VW, so this is my point of reference.

Convertible rear seat backs do not fold down due to the vehicle structure and the roll over protection provided by the rear seat head rests.

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Speaker rings were not needed at all for my install and it sounds great. If you wanted a little more sound isolation then go for them but they really aren't needed. If you really want to go all out and get some more low end for the speakers you can build custom boxes to mount the speakers in to completely deaden the back noise, but that is time consuming.

·
Registered
307 Posts
thanks for the info, i was curious about the rears because my fronts were too deep and needed the rings. I did not yet tackle the rears so i was a bit curious is all.

thanks for the info

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Yeah my Rockford Fosgates didn't need rings. I was kind of surprised myself but I was pretty happy that I didn't have to do as much fabrication. The rear ones won't need anything if you get big enough speakers to fill the hole. The speaker itself is only like 5", but the whole housing pushes it up into the 6-7" range. If you go smaller than the 6.75 inch speakers, you will probably need a ring or an adapter plate of some kind just to get the speaker to stay in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah my Rockford Fosgates didn't need rings. I was kind of surprised myself but I was pretty happy that I didn't have to do as much fabrication. The rear ones won't need anything if you get big enough speakers to fill the hole. The speaker itself is only like 5", but the whole housing pushes it up into the 6-7" range. If you go smaller than the 6.75 inch speakers, you will probably need a ring or an adapter plate of some kind just to get the speaker to stay in there.
what kind of speakers did you get squirreljuice?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts