VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an '03 Beetle that hasn't had its "lifetime" transmission fluid changed since new. I have read that changing the transmission fluid and cleaning the transmission pan say, every 40k miles, can greatly extend the life of the O1M (auto) transmission. My mechanic cautioned against doing the transmission service for fear of introducing new problems (tranny is shifting fine now). Just wanted to ask the community whether you would do a transmission fluid change at 165,000km (~103k miles)?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
RARELY does a transmission fail or have problems due to a fluid change. This is really an "old wives tale".

What REALLY happens is someone gets a car with high mileage that notices transmission/shifting problem, then changes the fluid in an attempt to resolve/correct/improve the transmission/shifting problem.

The fluid change is really too late at this point and the transmission fails sometime in the near future, not because of a "FLUID" related problem, but due to excessive wear and/or bad internal seals.

The VW transmissions are FAMOUS for premature valve body wear due to the design of the transmission and typically between 70-90k miles the shifting becomes harsh, delayed and generally poor. Fluid change will have no impact on valve body related problems.

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I've scheduled with my mechanic for a transmission fluid change next Saturday. He said that 60-70% of the fluid should be evacuated with a change, but no flush. My transmission is shifting fine now, so I hope this will only increase its longevity.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Just as a FYI; Blauparts.com has a 10% off sale on their transmission service kits.

October Sale - HURRY! Ends 10/31/2015
10% OFF EVERYTHING
in our Transmission / Driveline Category
Get Your Transmission Ready For Tough Winter Shifting!

10% Off Transmission Driveline Category
Official O.E. Ocap ATF Filter Change Kits

10% Off with Code OCT2015 You change your engine oil, why not your transmission fluid? We has the most complete line of transmission fluid change kits on the market which include German Ravenol ATF; specifically engineered for your specific transmission type.

Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts®

1 - 5 of 5 Posts