VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced a dead light - the one behind the blower switch.
The light is now working, but now the blower motor is not working. (Yes, I had it in the #2 position)

From doing searches, I think that I may of have broken something inside of the blower switch.

Other threads refer to a metal part that may be broken.
I know that I'm probably going to have to take it apart.

But what I am asking for is a picture of what it should look like normally - or any other suggestions.

Thanks!:thup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so I fixed the problem and thought that I would post some helpful pictures.

I read that a common cause of the fan failure was a metal piece that breaks. After removing the assembly I found that the metal piece was not broken, but that the contact on the end of the piece was actually sitting in front of the “C” shaped bar.

I have no idea how that happened, but it did. I simply moved the contact underneath the “C” shaped bar and the fan worked again. Here is a picture of it in the correct #2 position:

I did see the part that often breaks:

I also saw that the contact piece has a bend to it – so that it can make contact with both the “C” shaped bar above, and the individual contact points below.

I also found a way to test the switch – without having to take it apart. On the back of the assembly, you’ll find 5 connectors (the 6th connector is blank).

Number 2 is connected to the “C” shaped bar, and the others to the individual connectors. Using an OHM meter, keep one contact on post #2 during the entire test.
Start by turning the dial to 0 and verify that there is no conductivity between #2 and any other post.
Step 1) Turn the dial to 1. There should be conductivity between post 2 and 5.
Step 2) Turn the dial to 2. There should be conductivity between post 2 and 4.
Step 3) Turn the dial to 3. There should be conductivity between post 2 and 3.
Step 4) Turn the dial to 4. There should be conductivity between post 2 and 1.
If you passed all tests, then there is no need to take the switch apart any further.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.