NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just changed my wife's 2006 new beetle (2.5L) following Fowvay's guide (http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/717-how-replace-your-pads-rotors-front-rear.html). I didn't change the rotors because they are in good shape and pretty thick. Just the brake pads. All four wheels. All went fine and I did need to rent the brake caliper tool set from autozone to complete the rear brakes. I bleeded the brake line for each wheel too, using a tool from harborfreight

After all is done, I did a test drive. Seems to be OK and the brakes are definitely more responsive than before. However, when I got off the car and check each wheel one last time, I noticed the rear right wheel(passenger side rear) is very hot. Actually, it's the rotor that's hot and when I'm close to it I can even smell the burning smell. I guess that's because the pad was constantly pressed against the rotor, creating heat. Oddly, only this wheel does this. All others are cool. Tomorrow I'll have to jack up the car again and see if the wheel turns freely(since it's a rear wheel). I remember I did push the pistons back as far as it can go, and there were quite some space between the brake pads and the rotor before I step on the brake to reset it. So I'm wondering what could have gone wrong. Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I would start with the caliper pins. Were they cleaned and regreased when you removed the calipers? Was there any excess paint on the edges of the pads where they contact the calipers?

either can cause issues with the pads hanging up and rubbing on the rotors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts