VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I'm new.... but I know how to tell the story. I have a 2002 Beetle, regular 2.0 motor. Was hard to start after being parked for a few hours or more. So, we thought it was losing fuel pressure. Regulator screen looked like hell. Replaced it. Problem not solved. Checked fuel pressure. 28 lbs. Suypposed to be 60-80 or something like that. Okay, bad pump. Replaced it. Starts up quick and idles and revs awesome and strong now. Fuel filter appears to have vbeen changed recently so I did not.
All I did was: removed fuel pump relay, swapped out fuel pump, reinstalled relay... disconnected pos battery terminal to clear CEL, since the OBDII wont communicate with the ECU. (Link Error) Dont know why... Now even though it is strong in Park AND Reverse, i might add... in Drive or ANY other forward gear selection, it bogs and has nearly no acceleration.

Throttle body code perhaps? Why would that suddenly happen? I have a Saab 9-3 that went into the same type of mode and it was a TPS code, so I took a chance and cleaned throttle body like crazy with carb cleaner. Problem solved. Anyone experience this?

Thanks in advance... it is a friends car and I'm trying to help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
Have you scanned for any codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: After 2-3 hours of battery disconnected, CEL is still on and nothing has changed. I noticed a slight feeling of a "shift" between 1 and 2 gears. No 3 or 4 though. It never goes into 3 or 4th. This car had never had a transmission problem prior to this fuel pump swap. WTH??!! Lol :oops::unsure:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket radio?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... I found out that is an issue for the OBDII. I will dig into that today. It's just crazy how the transmission got stuck in 3rd and I didnt mess with any of that,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts