NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the first oil changed on my daughter's bug. Filled with 6 qts 5w-40 of Castrol full syn with Purolator filter. Now the check engine light is on.
The only thing I can figure is that I checked the oil level with the engine running. When I pulled the dip stick out i could hear air suck in or out and the engine started to shake a little. I'm guessing that's not recommended?
Anyway, can I just reset the check engine light myself? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
You need to get your car scanned for the codes. Autozone etc. Will do it for free. It may just be coincidence but you need to know what the codes are to know for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
&#956;&#959;&#955;&#8060;&#957; &#955;&#945;&#946;
213 Posts
Also, I don't know of any car that you would check oil level with the engine running. If you fill based on your readings with the engine running, you will definitely overfill the crankcase. Always check with the engine stopped and preferably after waiting a minute or so to allow the oil in top of the engine to drain back into the pan. The only fluid level you check with the engine running would be auto xmsn fluid.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
too much oil

Dude It looks like you put way too much oil. I think it's more like 3.8-4.5 quarts capacity. It's possible that the access oil could have been dispensed out to your exaust and mess up your Catalytic converter.
fyi-I know it specifically says in my owner's manual not to over fill the oil crankcase or that your catalytic converter could get damaged.
Let's hope that is not your case, good luck.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
A quick search looks like the 2.5 has a 6.2 qts capacity so I don't think this was overfilled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts