VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any advice for me. I wasn't getting any heat in my car before and after I changed the thermostat. Is there anything else I can check? Where is the blend door located?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
See my post in this thread for advice on the heater:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/74530-no-heat.html

The blend door is deep inside the dashboard. The entire dash need to come out to replace it. See this for info:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

The blend door has a foam seal that tends to fall apart. The result is that the blend door won't completely seal out the cold air inlet and the air from the heater won't be as hot as it should be. It won't cause a complete lack of heat.

With a complete lack of heat there is no coolant flow through the heater core for some reason. It could be air in the cooling system, a plugged heater core or a bad coolant pump. The original pumps had plastic impellers which also tended to disintegrate. Since you have the original pump still, this could well be your problem. Even more reason to do that timing belt and coolant pump right away!

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a bad water pump. Here is a quick check, take the small hose plugged into the top of the coolant jug off and put it into the coolant jug observe if there is any flow.

No flow - bad water pump

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I fixed my no heat problem. I changed the thermostat but was still not getting any heat. I turned the car on turned the fan speed off and turned the air temp to hot. Then pinched the top radiator hose until I felt a lot of pressure build up and let go. I turned on the fan to 2 and noticed I was getting a little bit of heat. I did that a couple more times after car warmed up and now I have excellent heat lol. I don't know if my heater core was plugged or not but this worked for me and hope it's not a temporary fix. I drove over 300 miles in it today and didn't have any heat issues. On the other hand I have been having some oil leaking previously. So I changed the two gaskets on the oil cap but still had the leak . Then I changed the valve cover gasket so far no oil leaks. Will be changing the water pump and timing belt in the next week or two since it is the original ones on there still.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im having basically the same issue...

I have changed my t-stat and tracked when its opening based on the coolant temp in vagcom....the lower hose stays really cool till the temp hits about 95-96C.

prior to that the upper hose and the inlet and outlet to the heater core are almost too hot to touch but the heat is just warm - at best. (doesnt get much better ever)

I can switch the dial from hot to cold and notice the difference so I'm guessing the blend door is working?

any advice?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts