NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once the vehicle achieves the correct temperature, do NOT turn the engine off.

Crawl underneath and remove the metal drain plug. If fluid comes out, then there is either the right amount of fluid or too much. I put in 3 liters and some came out when I opened the drain plug. I let it drain out a bit until it slowed to a drip and then replaced the drain plug. I would say about a shot glass worth came out.

If no fluid comes out, you need to add some until it does come out of the drain hole (which, in case you haven't figured out by now, means the fluid is level with the top of that orange sleeve shown earlier). Now, how convoluted is this procedure for checking the transmission fluid level?

Once you're satisfied with the fluid level, replace the drain plug and tighten snug (don't forget, this thing is screwed into a bit of plastic, so don't overdo it, Rambo). Then, remove your homemade fill system and put the stopper back on the fill hole. Attach a new red safety sleeve thingy around the stopper.

Finally reinstall the metal skid plate (and then the plastic one too, unless you're changing the engine oil too like I did next).

Hope everyone enjoyed the how-to. And I really hope people aren't waiting as long as I did to do this maintenance item. Ignore VW - replace the fluid and filter every 30K-40K miles.
Is this the correct location for the edit?

·
Registered
58 Posts
ATF Change

I saw the step-by-step with pictures and it came really handy. Changed my Auto transmission fluid yesterday with the VW ATF. I'm just wandering where can I get that VAG-COM software that you showed on your laptop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where do I get the VAG-COM software?

I'm having my brother change the transmission fluid for my car this weekend, where do I get that software to check the fluid temperature? Is that really neccesary or can we just leave the engine running for a while for the tranmission fluid to get warmed up?

·
363 Posts
big3.mango said:
I'm having my brother change the transmission fluid for my car this weekend, where do I get that software to check the fluid temperature? Is that really neccesary or can we just leave the engine running for a while for the tranmission fluid to get warmed up?
My Haynes NB Service and Repair manual states that if you do not have the scan tool used to read the transmission oil temperature you may need a cooking or darkroom thermometer that has a long probe which you can insert in the level-check hole to read the fluid temperature. I'd reckon you could also use one of those remote reading indoor/outdoor thermometers that are available everywhere for a few dollars - the outside sensor is waterproof and on a cable. The need to measure the temperature is to do with expansion of the fluid.(and to keep you going to the dealer!)

·
363 Posts
big3.mango said:
My Haynes NB Service and Repair manual states that if you do not have the scan tool used to read the transmission oil temperature you may need a cooking or darkroom thermometer that has a long probe which you can insert in the level-check hole to read the fluid temperature. I'd reckon you could also use one of those remote reading indoor/outdoor thermometers that are available everywhere for a few dollars - the outside sensor is waterproof and on a cable. The need to measure the temperature is to do with expansion of the fluid.(and to keep you going to the dealer!)

·
363 Posts
big3.mango said:

·
363 Posts
Sorry about the triple post - I'm on the other side of the world to from NB org and things sometimes go sooo slow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I downloaded the vag-com software, but the cable seems to cost too much ($249 with registration, is this right?). So the most probable way is to use the indoor/outdoor themormeter, is that right that I can put the 12 foot long probe into the transmission hole? I hope this method is accurate enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's this kind of thermometer of which the external probe is waterproof and designed to be placed outdoor, underwater, inside refridgerator, etc.

Now the things I'm confused about during this process is, first, the red safety cap, what is its function? And what do we take it out for? And what is the thing with the 2 o-ring inside this cap?

Second thing is how do we connect the heater hose to the level hole? Is this level hole located on the transmission under the hood? I thoughts the transmission is down under and hard to access, how do we connect the hole?

Sorry if these questions are ignorant, I'm trying hard to learn !

·
Registered
9 Posts
TIps on draining transmission fluid from 2.0L automatic Beetle, etc

I actually got 4L out of mine when I drained it, but I had the back end high on jackstands for 20 minutes first, which may have caused more fluid to drain to the front of the tranny. I was unsure if this was the cause or it was overfilled previously by someone, but I also got 4L back into the tranny, so it probably did help in draining more fluid than average.

The tranny pan bolts require a 10mm socket (4 bolts) and the tranny skid guard requires a 17mm socket (4 bolts).

After filling the car with the new fluid, do not open the drain plug until after the car is running and has been put through the gears, otherwise, you'll drain out some fluid you'll need in a few moments.

I ordered filter, rubber gasket, pentosin fluid (4L) and orange cap from German Auto and I used them all.

A work light helps greatly here.

You're a foot away from the engine oil drain plug and filter also, so maybe you can do both at the same time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just did this yesterday, and when I filled it up with 3 liters of Pentosin ATF and then checked the level, nearly a half a quart came back out...is this right?!

·
I told you so!
56 Posts
Under what conditions did you check the fluid? The car must be idling, fluid at a certain temperature (35-40°C?), and the car must be level.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I checked the level while the transmission was at 40 degrees celcius (105 fahrenheit), the engine was idling, and the car was level....I see now that the transmission temperature was too high when I checked the level, but would the fluid really expand that much?

Thank you!
Matt

·
I told you so!
56 Posts
40°C sounds about right. Your check was good. Did you measure the amount of old fluid that was drained? Like bugab007, your transmission may have been previously overfilled.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't measure it :( Oh well, I checked it again today just to be safe and it was low by about a quarter of a liter...it was driven only six miles at this level, but when I checked it, the fluid coming out wasn't new looking...I'm hoping I wasn't burning up clutches in there by driving that distance on slightly low fluid, but I'm guessing its equally likely that I just didn't get all the old fluid out. Annyywayys, I think its fine now, I'm not worrying about it, thank you for the excellent write up!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts