NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on changing out the oil in an O2J manual trans. The Bently manual is a bit lacking in this area (has more for autos).

I see the single drain plug which appears to be on the side of the tranny case. Do I have to use a vacuum unit to draw the old trans oil out first??.. or is there another way to drain it by gravity??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Manual tranny fluid changing.

globug01 said:
Does anyone have any tips on changing out the oil in an O2J manual trans. The Bently manual is a bit lacking in this area (has more for autos).

I see the single drain plug which appears to be on the side of the tranny case. Do I have to use a vacuum unit to draw the old trans oil out first??.. or is there another way to drain it by gravity??

Thanks!
Remove under engine panel if it covers the drain plug on the side of the tranny. This drain plug is located on the very bottom of tranny. It should be a smaller version hex end bolt or it might be under the VW shield that removes by loosening 2 bolts. I forget exactly what it looks like, but I do remember a drain plug. Remove filler plug on side of tranny with a 17 mm hex end wrench before you un-do the drain plug. This helps drain all the fluid. The tranny fluid is replaced thru this side, 17 mm hex bolt. It should take 2 liters of the special VW gear oil. There are 3 different types that are used depending on the tranny code and serial number. All 3 are synthetic gear oils in the 75W90 range. All that info can be found by looking up the VIN by the service tech and the tranny type, code, and serial # can be determined. Once the correct type is found, expect to pay $33.00 per liter and it does take all 2 liters. When full, the level of the fluid should be just under or up to the filler port edge. Do not substitute any other brand or type gear oil for this VW type fluid. The VW product has the correct friction modifiers that allow your syncronizers to operate at the correct speed. It also has special additives to prevent seal breakdown. It is easier to fill if some kind of pumping device can be used, or some other type arraingement that allows you to get the fluid up and into the filler port. Good Luck, JK

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guys! I have seen other Trans Oils Such as Redline and royalpurple (both synthetic). I have also heard good reports about these working well in VW trans.

Is it really that big a deal to use ONLY VW trans fluid just so long as it's synthetic and 75W90 SAE???:confused:

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Tranny oils, ect.

I am sure that several after market brands can protect manual trannies pretty well. I am only going on what my VW tech. told me. He is German and has Audi and VW certification on all components that he recieved in Germany. He is as straight and honest as they come. I have seen him perform services on my car using a completely different procedure that saved him and myself labor and replacement parts as compared with the standard methods. He explained the special friction modifiers and additives to keep the seals well and alive and sealing. He also explained why VW has 3 different types for the different tranny codes and serial numbers.. VW's tranny maker changed the syncro material somewhat and the seal materials somewhat thru out the changes from one code tranny to the next. I also have a 100,000 mile, 10 year power train warranty to keep in good health, so I only use VW approved fluids and oils everywhere, including the tranny.. JK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts