NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an MPH speedo, my question is; If I change the unit to a KPH one will it display the miles in kph form or is it just to complicated??

any help from people who might have done this greatly appreciated

JSL

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
I had to replace a bad speedo cluster;
for the replacement, i had to tranfer the mileage from the old to the new ( i had the odometer returned to zero first; by reflect tuning). During yhat process, in the soft coding in VCDS; you are to change the display from miles to kilometers or visa versa. Keep in mind, this was a North America/USA spec speedo cluster; i don't know, abiut parts from countries that are natively kilometers vs miles. Keep in mind you will probably need the secret key code; to be able to change the soft coding (this requires a cable/software like vagtacho) or have rhe changes doen by a specialized shop like Reflect Tuning.

To answer your question, a kilometer speedo; will most likely be programmed to display km's.

The other question would be, what is wrong with your original cluster and what do you want in your repair/swap results? The original speedo, maybe repairable; from places, like bbareman with a lifetime warranty. Let us kniw, what you want to ultimately with your current situation, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing wrong with it, I just spend a lot of time in France and the kmh dial is too small for my old eyes!!!

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
I guess it depends on how much time, money and effort; you want to spend on changing it over, to get km's to be displayed. Unfortunately, the older cars; make it harder to change the display and requires soft coding changes in the cluster.

A cheap and easy option; could be a obd II dongle like the ELM 327 (wifi for ios/apple; bluetooth android os) and setup a app on your phone (dash command, etc), to display your speed in km's and you can see other things as well (coolant temps, etc).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RCSVHODoCs0

The same thing can be done with many inexpensive gps units; which can display your speed as well and many add on eletronic dashboard type add "head up display" devices.

Here is a video, showing a example of how one works:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUmRj976qE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts