VW Beetle Forum banner

Changing plugs too difficult for the non-mechanic owner?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bugasm99 
#1 ·
Myself and a friend, who used to do tune ups on an old dual-carb type III squareback years ago, tried to change the plugs on my '99 2.0 today and couldn't do it! The two inner plugs are completely covered by the intake manifold and we couldn't see how to even remove the rubber plug covers much less remove and replace the plugs themselves. I'm sure some of you on this forum have probably done this yourselves, but how (w/o removing the intake manifold first?) :(

#2 ·
I'm not mechanically inclined (although electronically inclined) and i had no problem doin my plugs, other than breaking my coil pack. All u need to get at the 2 inner plugs is a long extension for the ratchet (or 2 or 3). The plugs are angled just so, that theyre removeable without taking the intake manifold off.

I didn't really care about the wires, so i just yanked em off, cuz i got some sweet 8.5 mm magnacor's to install, and it was a bit of a guess as to weather i seated the inner plug wires right, but the car's been perfect for a few months now, so i guess i did it right.

#3 ·
The wires are very tender, and if not removed carefully, they will fail. Use a plug wire puller. If you have new wires, they just give them a good yank. To get better access to the inner two plugs, carefully rotate the fuel injector about 90 degrees to get the connectors out of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.