NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my spark plugs, did an oil change and a air filter change today. Wow! I couldn't believe how simple it is. My 3000GT was so much harder to do. I posted pics for people to see, I took pictures of what tools you will need to get this job done with super ease!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
:clap: good to know it's easy! I just paid to have mine done, don't know if I'd risk doing it myself....maybe by this time next year I will feel confident to attempt to work on my Bug! :)

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter all in a matter of a few hours. (two) to be precise. And I've never work on a VW before, so the next time, it will be even faster!

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are so right! And the oil change was even easier. The only thing, I noticed a crack on the oil tube. So, I bought a new one today off of the net. That should be easy to do! And the battery change and the air filter was easy as well. I love working on this car and learning all there is to know about it. I've always heard horror stories about these NB cars. But, anyone with any kind of mechanical skill can figure it out. This site has helped out tremendously, that's why I've donated to it just about 15 minutes ago.

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the NGK to the Double Plat Autolite...I will tell you right now. Autolite is a great plug, I couldn't believe how well the car responded and felt.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I changed the NGK to the Double Plat Autolite...I will tell you right now. Autolite is a great plug, I couldn't believe how well the car responded and felt.
Good Job on your Maintenance!
Did you properly gap the plugs before installing them? One person that just installed a set of Autolite plugs had major issues with misfires. Turns out that this gaps were all over the place. One was .045 another .060. He was getting all frustrated when I told him to check his gaps and sure enough that was his problem. He set them all to .032 and all was well with the world. Personally, I am not a big Autolite fan but most General Autoparts stores don't carry the NGK plugs for our cars. I did find some Iridium NGK plugs at Pep Boys for $6.99 a plug and they were perfectly gapped at .028 which is recommended if you have a tune or a chip done to your car.

But it looks like you gapped them properly since your car is running well.

Enjoy! ;)

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car is running great! Yeah, I always check my gaps. The NGK was 13.00 a plug here. I was like WHAT!! My 3000GT imported plugs from Japan wasn't that much! So, I did some research and found that Autolite makes import plugs in Germany. So, I went with those. When I get that tune, that you and I had talked about. I'm going to change the plug to a cooler one.

·
2004 NB Vert Original Own
9 Posts
2004 NB Conv. Thank you for posting

Nice job posting on the spark plug change. You saved yourself and countless others $$$ by showing how easy it is. The NGK Platinum (part 6458) are now $13.49 at Pep Boys in Philadelphia area. (Dec. 2013)

You may want to explain how you got the engine cover off since there are no screws.

Also - did you replace the coil packs or reuse the old ones?

Thanks again for posting.

JCN

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I believe on the later engine covers, they just pull off. And unless you are having problems with the coil packs, just reuse them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts