NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any directions here on how to change the hatch struts on a Beetle? My hatch will no longer stay up, and when I pop the trunk latch (from the driver's seat)-- if I don't race to get back there to open it, it locks again.
The part to order is 1C0827550E -- but the question is:
how do they get put on?

Thanks - Sheryl

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sounds easy enough... anyone done this?
Did it last weekend, mentioned it in the "what did you do for your beetle today" thread in the New Beetle Experience sub-forum.

It is very very easy.

Just take a small flat head screwdriver and pull back the plastic tab holding the strut on to the ball and pull outwards.

BUT!

MAKE SURE YOU SUPPORT THE HATCH PRIOR TO REMOVING!

It's very very heavy, even with the struts not able to hold it up, they still hold a lot of the weight. Even removing one of them will cause the hatch to come down very fast and very hard, if your head is there is will hurt very much.

In my case being tall enough I just put my head under there and held the weight that way. Otherwise a broom handle positioned correctly would work. Or a handy helper person.

When I attached them, I found that with the added boost the second was a little harder to get on. Attaching at the bottom then pulling the hatch down to the right height was the solution.

You will LOVE it once done, such an easy fix for a major improvement in quality of life. The hatch doesn't just stay up now, after lifting it a foot it will open the rest of the way on its own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was an easy fix. I ordered the struts from Napa auto parts, had them arrive the next day, and in about 10 minutes had the new struts on. You're right, janitz, the hatch is heavy, and even with one strut off, won't stay up on its own.
And best of all - popping the trunk from inside doesn't require me to race to the back to catch it before it locks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
changing struts

My trunk wouldn't stay open
got my new struts and read this post
I did right side first and it stayed open. . Weird because with both it didn't.
Took about 7 min after my sailor mouth because I had an issue with the little clip on bottom of left side... little tighter space.... not bad for a 61 yr old woman. Love all the good advice here.... thanks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need to do this. My hatch tries to kill me when it’s cold, and maybe that’s why it doesn’t pop properly! Need to order some and get on with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts