NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Charlie. He was adopted 4/2004 with 9,102 miles. As of this post he has over 72,600 miles. I haven't really modded much, aside from looks, other than the DRLs have been disabled and I used my VAGCOM to reprogram selective locking off (this means both doors unlock when I press the unlock button once). I have many future technical and physical mods to perform! :)

Attachments

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
LOVE the oval! Not crazy about the bumper stickers, but i never am any ol way. I do like the gas tank decal though. How awesome would it be to cover your quarter windows and make it into the first "Panel Beetle"???? It'd work with the oval. It'd certainly be unique. Just an idea.

Oh and you said not many mods...ummm...what?! You have tons of mods! Unique ones at that.

Bravo! Yay Beetle!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bumper stickers are on their way out. I want to do a black two-tone. I thought about having a friend make some plastic panels for the side windows, BUT.. I use those to change lanes (I didn't use the back window, so I could part with the extra space for the oval). I've not ruled it out, though. Just wait.. the spoiler is going to be black fading to green at the mount point, the VW emblem will be removed and replaced with the script text (and the whole oval window/top/back hacth painted a solid uniform green -- you can see the fading of OEM body to added soiler/window in the summer -- but not unless you really, really look). The Bumpers and fenders, front and rear, get painted black. Door handles black. Gas cap stays green for contrast. Also lining the running board with some rubber ( a trick that another orger tipped me off to)... that will "nearly" complete what I want to do with Sir Charles... :)

Oh.. and the back window is gonna get a really really BIG see-thru Apple logo (cause their stuff puts money in my pocket, yanno), the place who did my side stripes was telling me about it. It's like a two-way mirror: those looking at it from the outside can't see in, but I can see out of it. DOT approved, to boot! I'm thinking a white Apple, and that'll look good when I finally get the windows tinted (been saying that for *years* now).

Also.. the front headlamp housing and the rear taillights are going to be removed and the silver aspects painted black for effect. It'll look better than the silver on the green and it'll give the real affect I want when the car gets the black underside: the lights just blend right in, from a distance you won't be able to tell it's an assembly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The Beetle's starting to look good! Now the fun begins. Once you start customising you won't be able to stop. It's habit forming. Can't wait to see it next year at a show. I like the oval window it's great!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
75shot said:
The Beetle's starting to look good! Now the fun begins. Once you start customising you won't be able to stop. It's habit forming. Can't wait to see it next year at a show. I like the oval window it's great!
Hey dude! LOL yea.. it is starting to get really, really addictive :)

If you'll be at Bugs over Memphis 8, I'll be there! (And even if ya can't make it, I'll probably be there!)

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Is the oval window treatment a vinal graphic ro did you have a section welded in to the hatch? If it is vinal, what a great idea! Looks cool!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WNAB911 said:
Is the oval window treatment a vinal graphic ro did you have a section welded in to the hatch? If it is vinal, what a great idea! Looks cool!
No, it's actually a fiberglass overlay. ( http://www.autotrucktoys.com/beetle/Willpak-Rear-Window-Panels-99-Up-VW-Beetle-P1523C317.aspx )

The price has kept dropping over the years, I think they are going to stop making it soon (like the retro chrome strips that you used to be able to get for just under the window sills like a vintage beetle had).

·
CC + JB = TRUE LOVE
10,280 Posts
Charlie rules!

Juggbug has a new crush! Charlie is the bug that started it all :D You know I love the oval, cuz you are the one that told me where to get it! lol I'm also really diggin' the parking brake cover....very cool! Charlie & JuggBug sittin' in a tree....:p

·
Pimp your Auto
159 Posts
Those Old School wheels look hot. Like green is anwesome color to combine with black. Consider paiting your roof black.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yllwtrb said:
Those Old School wheels look hot. Like green is anwesome color to combine with black. Consider paiting your roof black.
I've thought about painting the roof black; but it wouldn't look right w/ the solid green backing I don't think. Dunno, though. The black looks good when you've got the solid back glass tinted, though!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lnzbug said:
I like Charlies mod around the idiot lights. Was that hard to install and where'd ya get it cause i want to steal that idea ;)
I got that on eBay for like $13. I've thought about painting it green; but I don't think I will since I now have a chrome light-up shift knob (the VW shift patterns glows blue) and the chrome e-brake.... I need the Auti TT-style vent rings now, I suppose, and chrome door handles....

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here's a hint: there is no theme.

The car is functional and artistic; that's all I ever intended it to be. I only add what I really like; and that changes. I can't do the chrome stripes cause I can't find them and with the two-tone paint I want to do they'd look out of place. The sleepy eyes (stoner eyes as I've heard them called hehe) have always been a big favorite of mine and I love euro plates; the back window ties my car together and the spoiler was part function (semi's don't knock me around anymore for whatever reason) and because I like the sporty-ish look it gets. The altezzas are growing old and I'm thinking of going back to the stock tails with some kind of ring kit; or cutting these open and painting the chrome black (want to do that to the headlights, too).

I don't fit a stereotype; why should my car? :D

The valance has to be replaced; we're thinking of gutting the mesh and putting in metal and cutting holes for the lights. Quick, cheap, and more effective than ordering/painting a new valance and re-wiring the fogs.

For the record: these fogs cost a grand total of $28 with wiring kit and about 3 hours time. I did get a freebie US VW foglight switch (which is what they are wired to). They do OK for now; but the new valance will REALLY help!

I'll be coming back from BAP with a cold air intake; I hope. My dad is going to make it while I'm in Memphis on sunday (he's a welder). Just wait... I've got many, many plans for this car... but it's getting to where i almost hate to drive it and use it as a pickup now.. i need a true beater.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Great Work! That is a very cool Shift Knob! Fine lookin eyelids too.. Not angry lookin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts