VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've basically got the chat integrated with vb3 now. There is a registration probably with my copy of jIRC (the web client) in that it doesn't want to work off newbeetle.org -- it needs FORUMS.newbeetle.org (which is totally lame). So, right now, if you type something, it works, but puts up a message saying it's unregistered. Hopefully I'll get that worked out with the jIRC people and not have to pay another $50 for a license. Also, there are some visual things I will do to make it look nicer. But it more or less works.

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Holy ****, that chat app is a total pig that brings Firefox to a screetching halt.

I think given some time, we'll be able to move to a nice AJAX chat client. I found a few, which are rough around the edges.

Here's one...

On a related note, http://www.meebo.com/ is a surprisingly un-beta-esque AJAX IM client which does what Trillian, Miranda, etc. do. God, no wonder AJAX is a web developer's wet dream :p

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
oh poop, I just found a huge list of AJAX or similar chat clients.

DEFINITELY worth a look. Some of these clients are a little laggy, some are rather quick, IIRC, all of them are free and since they're basically all some combination of js, php, and css code, it oughta be a piece of cake to tweak any aspect of them. Only drawback is, I don't think any of these are proper IRC clients...

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ASurroca said:
oh poop, I just found a huge list of AJAX or similar chat clients.

DEFINITELY worth a look. Some of these clients are a little laggy, some are rather quick, IIRC, all of them are free and since they're basically all some combination of js, php, and css code, it oughta be a piece of cake to tweak any aspect of them. Only drawback is, I don't think any of these are proper IRC clients...
Yeah, I looked at some AJAX ones, but never saw anything for IRC. We definitely need IRC, as most of the chatters use a desktop IRC client, anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Just a reminder - Need to get the new version of JIRC registered/fixed to work with the new URL its confusing a few people

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Come on AJAX programmers, make us an iRC-compatible chat program in AJAX.:p

Like I said, though, let's give it time. I'm sure one or more will pop up eventually ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts