NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i'm not saying this will work for everyone but it DID work for me. Try at your own risk, i'm not responsible, results may vary, yada yada.

This How-To should help those with Yellowing or Hazy headlights that are trying to turn them back clear on a budget.

Anywho, every since I bought Titan, He has had very yellow headlight lenses with lots of fine scratches. Well, lately, i think they've been getting worse so I started thinking about getting headlight restoration. I was going to shell out $40 to a local place, but i suffered another kick in the pants from the economy at work and couldn't afford to lose $40 to something i really didn't need.

So, i saw this 3-M kit online for $20 bucks. To see if it worked, i went to Youtube to look for videos to see if the product really worked. It really did work! But after the video, I saw this video someone made with them using toothpaste on their headlights. I thought, yea this really won't work so i watched to have a few laughs. I saw some difference in his when he was done, so i decided i would try it because I was desperate for clear lenses.

I didn't go out and buy a whole tube, but i just bought some new toothpaste a day ago and the old tube was sitting at the top of the trash so i used the remainder of what was in there. My toothpaste is Arm & Hammer Advance White Brilliant Sparkle. IF you run out to buy some, on the side of the box, the are checkboxes. DO NOT get the one that says low abrasive formula.

Materials
  • Water
  • Arm & Hammer Advance White Toothpaste Brilliant Sparkle (or toothpaste of your choice)
  • Towel for rubbing toothpaste in. SHould be somewhat abrasive and not a microfiber or chamois.
    Towel for Drying everything
  • Optional is a buffer. Again, I used one, but it didn't do much justice as it was on its last legs.
Steps

• Step One was to just pour some toothpaste on the yellowed headlight and rub it on with your hands all over the lense and let it sit for about a minute.
  • Step Two is pour on some water to moisten it back up.
  • Step Three is with a towel, rub in the toothpaste. You will slowly notice that it is becoming harder to rub the toothpaste as it is drying so you will need to periodically need to add more water.
  • After 5-10 minutes of rubbing or until all the toothpaste is gone, you can rinse off the rest off the entire headlight.
Make sure you rinse off the splatter from your paint if there was any. The splatter made good reason to wash my car afterwards. :D

I did use a buffer the second time, but it was on its last legs so i'm not sure if it really did much as it barely worked. I'm pretty sure you can get better results with the use of different grits of sandpaper too as you're getting deeper into the headlights.

Finally, my headlights didn't clear up RIGHT away, they slowly turned clearer as time passed. After all of the step, i noticed the yellow was disappearing. I dont think they will get 100% clear again, but this did bring back a good portion of clarity without sanding.

Sorry I forgot to take a picture of my headlights before so i just pulled one of my most current photos with a headlight in it. Also, the two After pictures are kinda blurry camera phone photos. My Camera is on a cruise with my sister, so when it returns, i'll post better photos. its Before then After for each type of shot.

Any Questions, Comments, or Concerns? Feel free to respond to this or send me a PM :) Steps are pretty much the same as this youtube video i watched that inspired me to try.

BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
*Step One was to just pour some (what) on the yellowed headlight.........

My guess - toothpaste? Or what?

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*Step One was to just pour some (what) on the yellowed headlight.........

My guess - toothpaste? Or what?
oops!! Fixed! Thanks Deb!!

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
That one pic was from the future.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
How is doing it the right way not cheap enough? :D

Wetsand 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. 3M Rubbing Compound, Meguiars PlastiX. Done.

I bought the supplies a few years ago and I've done at least 5 sets of headlights and 2 sets of taillights. Totally worth the (cheap) investment.

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
How is doing it the right way not cheap enough? :D

Wetsand 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. 3M Rubbing Compound, Meguiars PlastiX. Done.

I bought the supplies a few years ago and I've done at least 5 sets of headlights and 2 sets of taillights. Totally worth the (cheap) investment.
Thanks for the list! I've gotta do my wife's PT Cruiser like yesterday- thanks.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be doing this again soon. They've cleared some, but there are still lots of scratches to get out. I'll do the wetsanding technique the next time.

Thanks for the link SMG_ :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
If its too badly gone, the dealer will replace it. The one place VW cheaped out was in using plastic for the headlight cover instead of real glass.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If its too badly gone, the dealer will replace it. The one place VW cheaped out was in using plastic for the headlight cover instead of real glass.
Not a unique to VW concept, EVERYONE uses polycarbonate lenses today, typically doesn't crack or "rock chip", and the material lends itself to "shaping" more so than glass for today's exotic shapes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts