VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud and enthusiastic new owner of a 2004 vw beetle turbo convertible. I want to love her. But the day after I bought her the check engine light came on. ..along with a super rough idle. HELP!

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
I can't help with a mechanic but if you scan the car for trouble codes, we might be able to help. A common problem with the 1.8T; is failed coil packs, the car will idle really rough and the engine will have low power (check engine light; usually blinks). Coil packs are easy to replaced and not too expensive. Scan the car; post the trouble codes and we can go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also the switches on driver door that release the trunk and fuel door are....not behaving. Trunk is a no go....and fuel door is "iffy"....will replacing the switch work? And is there anyway to open the fuel door without that switch! ?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Many times; the wiring harness, that goes from the body to the door, will get damaged (they are encased in a black ribbed rubber sheath). The wires flex; from opening/closing the door and the wires will break, causing all kinds of problems. I would check the wiring for damage; how does the passenger side switches work? If you can release the trunk with the key fob; then, I would see if the trunk release switch is bad. You could also; swap the fuel door and trunk switches; I believe they are the same, that would confirm if they are ok.

As for the fuel door; here is a diy, on how to clean the door release actuator but you may just have a electrical problem or the cable is bad. You can release the door manually; by removing the access panel and pulling the release cable (picture with tape roll).

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...ems-new-beetle/47608-fuel-door-latch-diy.html

·
1999 GLS 2.0 m/t
189 Posts
Also remember you have to hold the button for a few seconds until you hear it unlatch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I'll be posting codes sometime on Sunday. Until then she is parked! I have a friend that will order the parts for me. I am hoping that I will be able to do the work myself. With the help from the Org of course! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the "Beetle brace"....it's the steel insert that is used to repair and reinforce the interior door grabs...that seem to be the all to common fail. I found out about them on you tube. Seems like they work. ...just wondering if anyone has used them? I'm adding the video link just in case anyone is curious

https://youtu.be/vH3XuprMVko

·
439 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the "Beetle brace"....it's the steel insert that is used to repair and reinforce the interior door grabs...that seem to be the all to common fail. I found out about them on you tube. Seems like they work. ...just wondering if anyone has used them?
I just got them a couple of weeks ago for mine. I can finally close my door with the handle. Love it.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
You'll hear some mixed opinions on that but you generally get better mileage/performance when using premium over regular.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. For piece of mind I think I'll just go ahead and use premium. I have other issues on my mind. First one is the gas cap indicator light ,I think that's what to call it, comes on when I'm driving. Makes her a little hesitant at an idle. I remember reading that sometimes the gas cap isn't screwed on correctly. So I did that. And the light went off. Problem solved I thought. However light came on again while I was driving, again with the hesitant idol. Once I turn the car on and off the light goes away and the hesitance is gone. But why does the light keep coming on anything that I need to worry about.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Did you ever scan for codes?

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
You mean the CEL keeps coming on? If so you need to get it scanned for codes and we can help you from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took her to a mechanic. I need a new valve cover gasket...they reused the plugs and coils because they weren't too badly damaged. Also a new alternator and coolant flange.
At this point light hasn't come back on.
But I have to let her warm up otherwise she is hesitant. Also very jerky coming out of 1st into 2nd...
I did have a thorough scan done at the mechanic. They just gave me estimates for fixing. ..no codes

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
When you say "jerky"; do you mean, the engine is hesitating? What trouble codes; did the mechanic find? If it idles rough and stalls, hesitates when it is cold and then clears up when warm, you might check out the coolant temperature sensor. Otherwise, if you have hesitation issues; all the time, you might check out the diverter valve and boost system. This thread; maybe helpful:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-lit...ock-motor-apr-aftermarket-vs-stock-bosch.html

Note: in my case; a sticking diverter valve, did not throw a trouble code.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts