NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters New beetle is having a bad day. The check engine light came on and it went into a what I am assuming was limp mode. She got it home and I put my scanner on it. It had 10 codes all related to the throttle valve. I cleared the codes and the car ran fine. I scanned it again and one code appeared. It reads…. 17967.P1559 Throttle valve control part – J3 38: fault in basic settings. What is this and how do I fix it?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,916 Posts
The code is for the throttle body. Looks like it needs an adaptation done.

17967/P1559/005465 - Throttle Body (J338): Fault in Basic Settings
Possible Symptoms

* Not known

Possible Causes

* Idle Switch Open or Open Circuit
* Throttle Valve sticks and won't close
* Speed Impuls from Engine Speed Sensor (G28) recognized

Possible Solutions

* Perform Throttle Body Adaptation

Source: Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The code is for the throttle body. Looks like it needs an adaptation done.

17967/P1559/005465 - Throttle Body (J338): Fault in Basic Settings
Possible Symptoms

* Not known

Possible Causes

* Idle Switch Open or Open Circuit
* Throttle Valve sticks and won't close
* Speed Impuls from Engine Speed Sensor (G28) recognized

Possible Solutions

* Perform Throttle Body Adaptation

Source: Ross-Tech Wiki

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a manual throttle body alignment and all seemed ok. My daughter and I drove the car as a test. About 20 minutes into drive a light in the top of instrument panel came on showing "EPC" and the car lost power. I quickly got the car home and ran a scan for codes. I got a code of 17950.P1542 Angle Sender 1 for throttle valve drive-G187 implausible signal.

What is this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For future reference, I had to remove the throttle body and clean it.(http://writen4u.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-clean-your-Throttle-Body-VWAudi-DIY) Once it was clean the car is running fine. I am a little suprised that a dirty throttle body would cause such a big problem, causing the car to eventually go into limp mode. Anyway, just cleaning the throttle body fixed the problem. Doing it myself saved me a bunch of money also. I hate to think how much it would have cost to have the car towed to the dealer and then let them fix it. This forum has members with lots of knowledge about the Volkswagen New Beetles and with their help I have successfully avoided giving big bucks to the dealer again!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts