VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Beetle now has 72k. A few days ago, my gas cap logo came on, so I turned off my car and made sure it was tight. The light went away. 2 days later my check engine light came on. I took it to Firestone to get free codes. And they are P0441- Evap system incorrect purge flow & P0456 Evap system leak detected (very small leak). I'm a little nervous but I'm assuming it has to do with my gas cap? I did hear some clicking noises from the gas entry earlier today. Also, I'm afraid this maybe happening because I always over fill my gas tank when filling up. I haven't done it in a while but I've done it plenty of times. I hope this doesn't cause internal damage. My question- is this something that should be looked at ASAP? And how could does a gas cap replacement cost at the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
16825/P0441/001089 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16840/P0456/001110 - Ross-Tech Wiki

If your car is still under warranty; I would take it to the vw dealer and have them look at it. The codes; seem to be referring to purge valve(s) and possibly the gas cap. The bottom one; seems to indicate the gas cap, is the problem. How does the gasket for the gas cap look and does it seem to close correctly? Replacing it, would be a cheap thing to try and then, see if the trouble codes, come back. In general, is recommended to NOT overfill the gas tank; as it can cause problems with the evap canister and related valves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I replaced my evap purge value $30, gas cap $40, and since I have done a diagnosis, they found out that my Evap charcoal canister has cracked. And the part is $515. I may have cracked it when backing up into a tree :(

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
What year is the car? If it is a old car; you might find some used evap parts instead of new. On the other hand, if someone else is fixing it, new parts and a confirmed repair, maybe worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Beetle is a 2014. I've been driving with the check engine light for the last 3 months. Driving around with a cracked canister... is that doing any harm to my car other than the environment?
thnx

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, the sytem can't work properly with a crack and leak in the system; you will definitely, fail your next state emissions test. I would recommend; that you repair the problem, you could probably find the parts used online or at your local junk yard. Newer vehicles, get wrecked and totalled, all the time and the parts are hardly used, like new.

With this damage; I would assume, this would be covered on your full coverage insurance policy? In that case; get your insurance adjuster to check it out and get you a claim, get the car fixed.

You can search online with this site: www.auto-parts.com; look on VW's parts site for correct part numbers and also, look on sites, like ebay. On the west coast; there are a number of VW/German auto parts junkyards; that specialize in used parts and they can be helpful, finding parts as well (e.g. Specialized German Auto).

http://parts.vw.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=VW+...wagen+used+auto+parts+recyclers+in+California

Because of the amount of miles you drive and I am assuming you're out of warranty; I would really recommend that you invest invest in a vw specific scan tool and that way you can check for trouble codes and see when they come on or stay off, after clearing them.

The VAG 401 or Foxwell NT500; can be purchased on amazon and are stand alone hand held tools. There is VCDS by Ross Tech; that runs, on a windows based pc.

Lastly, The newest and probably most convenient option, OBDEleven, which runs on android devices like a phone or tablet, for only $60. It is being sold in the USA; through Deutsche Auto Parts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=obd...69i61j69i60.2990j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Because, your car is so new; I would think, that the newer tools like OBDEleven or the constantly updated VCDS, would have the higher probability of working/being compatible, rather than the cheaper chinese knockoffs, like the less expensive, stand alone handhelds, like the VAG 401.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts