1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I get this repeating error from ODBeleven:

P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance

Sometimes Intermittent, sometimes Static. I have reset error few times. Sometimes can go few days and then check engine lights up again.

Also more randomly these errors, same time as P0101:

P0139 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 Slow Response
Intermittent
P0140 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 No Activity Detected
Intermittent
P0172 - Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Rich
Intermittent

MAF looks brand new, unfortunately service history is not clear (car was shipped abroad)

I also cleaned MAF, but still the same symptoms.

Does anyone know if there can be some logic on those errors, or should I just install new MAF? Or if there is some ways to troubleshoot further? I have only that Odbeleven scanning tool..

I also tried to find possible vacuum leaks, but no success.

Car details:

Car: Volkswagen New Beetle
Year: 2000...2012
Body type: Cabriolet
Engine: BFS 75 kW (102 HP) 1.6 l
Mileage: 166150 KM

·
Registered
16,162 Posts

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
I find it a bit odd; that you are not getting all factory vw trouble code definitions from OBDEleven, you would think, being a VW scan tool, it would.

Working down the list of trouble codes; since you have a maf code, I would look at live data and confirm, the maf is in spec, do a "wiggle test" of the plug/wiring, see if this affects the maf readings. If it does, you might need a new pigtail from ebay/amazon or replace the terminal ends with repair wires from VW and a new plug housing, to finish off the repair.

Maf testing and fuel trims; go hand in hand, as they are related to each other and + or - 10% is considered in the "normal range", outside of that, you have a issue. If the maf and the 02 sensor are a issue or have failed; the fuel trim codes, would make sense,they are defective.

We have had other uk members with the 1.6L and I believe, we figured out the oem maf for that engine is made by Hitachi, USA/North America spec motors are always Bosch, the 1.6L seem unique for some reason?

It looks like you have a Bank 1 Sensor 2 fault, possible heater circuit failure; this is common and requires replacement (e.g. B1S2 location: after the catalytic converter). Before buying and installing a new one; you can do a continuity test, using a multimeter and following the service manual. When, I got that code; I compared the new and old 02 sensor and it was obvious, the heater circuit was "open", bad circuit, good or "closed" on the new one. OEM for 02 sensors, typically is Bosch and they seem to work the best, don't buy cheap aftermarket parts.

A bad maf and 02 sensor; could definitely, make things out of whack and cause fuel trim codes, like the rich code. I would be testing things step by step; confirm, diagnosis and bad parts, before spending your hard earned cash, on expensive replacement parts. After a confirmed diagnosis; you can be confident, that the part is bad and your replacement parts are actually needed, should help resolve your drivability issues.

Keep in mind, many times, you will have "multiple" problems and so, it may take a number of diagnostic, troubleshooting and testing sessions, to find all the problems, defective parts, until the engine starts running well, trouble codes, stop being thrown. Remember, to always, rechecking things; are installation of new parts and confirm, they are working, as they should, to have a solid step by step process of elimination, as you work down the list of possible problems and eventual solutions, as things go along.

Let us know, how your testing goes and what the results of your testing, diagnosis, parts replacement, then confirmation post repair, we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Hmm, any production dates on the part? I wonder if it was replaced? Hella, is typically a German company but "Made in China", may indicate a non oem part and something made recently?

You might look up your car on their online catalog; confirm, part #'s and what their warranty is, on their parts? They have a contact #; if you need to seek tech or warranty support.

contact info:

If you are in Finland; here is the Finnish Bosch Auto Parts site:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I get this repeating error from ODBeleven:

P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance

Sometimes Intermittent, sometimes Static. I have reset error few times. Sometimes can go few days and then check engine lights up again.

Also more randomly these errors, same time as P0101:

P0139 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 Slow Response
Intermittent
P0140 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 No Activity Detected
Intermittent
P0172 - Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Rich
Intermittent

MAF looks brand new, unfortunately service history is not clear (car was shipped abroad)

I also cleaned MAF, but still the same symptoms.

Does anyone know if there can be some logic on those errors, or should I just install new MAF? Or if there is some ways to troubleshoot further? I have only that Odbeleven scanning tool..

I also tried to find possible vacuum leaks, but no success.

Car details:

Car: Volkswagen New Beetle
Year: 2000...2012
Body type: Cabriolet
Engine: BFS 75 kW (102 HP) 1.6 l
Mileage: 166150 KM
Had the same problem with my 2005 beetle. Changed the MAF and the vacuum hoses Been running great ever since

1 - 7 of 7 Posts