NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my check engine light is on in my 1.8t, says its a vacuum line or something but idk how i would go about finding where the hole is. any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Let's start with the DTC that was thrown...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not quite sure atm, i dont live at home and my scan tool is at my moms.......i can definitely get the code for tomorrow though.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks. and my car is out of commission atm (due to registration running out) and my mom said she can get me the scan tool for tomorrow. i will post when i find out what exactly is going on.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There are a lot of ppl around here with a significant amount of knowledge, more than willing to help, but without a code, just a CEL... Nobody here is physcic (lol)! Where did you get the information that it was a vacuum line leak? From the reader?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it from my scan tool. got one of those lil $70 hand held ones from advanced auto parts lol. i dont remember the code but i remember it saying a vacuum line or something along those lines. if my P.O.S countour didnt completely die i would be able to get to my moms lol.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
16839/P0455/001109 - EVAP System: Large Leak Detected

Possible Causes

• Gas Cap loose/missing
  • EVAP System Leaking
Possible Solutions

• Check Gas Cap
  • Check EVAP System
  • Check to make sure EVAP purge valve is not installed backwards
Retrieved from "16839/P0455/001109 - Ross-Tech Wiki"

P0134 is not coming back as a valid code.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the thickest orange tube in that picture has a hole about the size of a pencil tip in it, thinking that could be the cause of the first code. and googled how to replace front o2 sensor and found a walkthrough on this website called vwvortex

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
the thickest orange tube in that picture has a hole about the size of a pencil tip in it, thinking that could be the cause of the first code. and googled how to replace front o2 sensor and found a walkthrough on this website called vwvortex
Excellent! The Vortex is another site for VW owners, most are not NB owners, but there is a lot of good tech information over there also. As with all forums there's good information and there is bad. Many here also are members there. This is just a much more active site and much more social. Every VW model, including those not found on this side of the pond are on that site. Here you might get an answer in minutes, there it may take days, or longer.

Yep, the hole in the hose would be a good bet (lol). I'd put my money on it. Lot of threads around about changing the upstream O² sensor. One is probably as good as the next.

I know from reading the threads that you have big moding plans for some things, but I'm going to forewarn you, you need to spend you efforts and your cash on getting the mechanics up to snuff, such as the timing belt and water pump, if they haven't been done, or you're going to be listening to your tunes and your bass amp, sitting in your garage. With a Turbo, oil changes every 5k miles with synthetic oil and premium gas required.

M.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol m. i actually started buying everything to get it to pass inspection as of right now (have rear rotors and break pads sitting in back seat because grandfather seems to think it will be to difficult for me to do it myself) wanna do a full tune up also, including turbo oil.....i will be able to start getting the necessities done if my grandfather didnt think i had a pallet of cash in my closet to pay a mechanic and just let me do it myself.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
lol m. i actually started buying everything to get it to pass inspection as of right now (have rear rotors and break pads sitting in back seat because grandfather seems to think it will be to difficult for me to do it myself) wanna do a full tune up also, including turbo oil.....i will be able to start getting the necessities done if my grandfather didnt think i had a pallet of cash in my closet to pay a mechanic and just let me do it myself.
With a little help from here on the Org, most things are quite do-able. Lots of How-tos and DIYs in that section, have you been there? Also the advanced thread search works great, you just have to play around with the words you search. It doesn't recognize 3 letters. And join up over on the Vortex, most of us usee the same User ID, so you'll see us over there. Sounds like your on the right track. When it comes to buying parts ask around also. I have a list of about 20 or so online resources. VW Dealer Parts and VW Parts Resellers. You have to do a lot of shopping, parts will vary from part to part by as miuch as double for the same part.

Seriously, when you get thru the inspection, you need to address the TB & WP. How many miles on your ride?

M.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
timing belt was done around 100k, not sure about water pump. i now have about 178k (somewhere around mid to high 170's). seems like alot is overdue and thats how i just recently received the vehicle. i am probably going to sneak my way into doing some maintenance to it. maybe not the brakes (i can understand why my grandfather doesnt want me to) but definitely a full tune up. he says brakes the brakes on the NB are the hardest ones he has ever seen......find that a bit peculiar tbh

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The timing belt is due, most would say past due. The first, to have gone a 100k miles was stretching it big time on a turbo. Possibly that was the second. Another 78k is stretching it again. Water pump was surely done as the original with plastic impellers would have been trashed long ago.

Keep us posted on your progress with the current issues and let us know if you need some help.

M.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I just did the brakes (Rotors and Pads) all around. The front ones are pretty easy but the rear rotors were a bit of a challenge. You need a special caliper tool to push in and turn/rotate the calipers at the same time. I did buy a special caliper tool from Harbor Freight which made the installation a lot easier. You can also try to push in the caliper a little then try and rotate it manually but it is a pita doing it that way. If you just try and push those calipers in without rotating them you can permanently damage them. Also I recommend bleeding your system and replacing the brake fluid while you do the brakes. I had mine flushed and fluid replaced by a Euro shop in my area and it made a big difference.

As far as Oil goes I have been putting in Mobil One 0W40 and using the Mobil One Oil filter which is usually free when Autozone has a Sale with the Oil and filter. I change my oil every 4 to 5 k miles and I just did the valve cover gasket and half moon and flat seal cam tensioner gasket and my cams and cover looked pretty clean. There are a lot of oils out there and a lot of people have preferences just be sure it is a quality synthetic oil and meets the specification of VW. The 0W40 works great but a 5W40 will work as well. Some have been putting in the Castrol 0W30 European formula but I prefer to stick with the recommended 40 weight oils especially since I have 160k on the clock.

Good luck getting her ready for inspection. Take your time with your brakes. As I said the fronts are cake and the rears aren't bad either but you do need to rotate those calipers.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
timing belt was done around 100k, not sure about water pump. i now have about 178k (somewhere around mid to high 170's). seems like alot is overdue and thats how i just recently received the vehicle. i am probably going to sneak my way into doing some maintenance to it. maybe not the brakes (i can understand why my grandfather doesnt want me to) but definitely a full tune up. he says brakes the brakes on the NB are the hardest ones he has ever seen......find that a bit peculiar tbh
The brakes aren't really that bad. Not any worse than any other cars. Just remember the rear caliper tool that rotates the caliper piston while pushing it in. That is the hardest part. Replacing the rotors and pads is pretty easy. I put EBC rotors and pads all around. If you get OEM VW rear pads they come with new clips and bolts. The EBC didn't. I just cleaned up the clips and reused the rear bolts with a little loctite thrown in. Brakes work like a charm. Took me about 2 hours per axle and that included cleaning the calipers and painting them.

If you get a timing belt kit it usually comes with the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, thermostat etc, etc.
So I assume that all that was replaced at 100k. But as already mentioned mileage is creeping up on it and it is due once again. I was thinking of doing this job myself this time but I don't know if I really want to risk messing up the timing and then trashing the motor. So I will take it to EPWerks and let them do it for $450 bucks including parts and labor. Might have to wait until after Christmas for that project since money is tight right now.

Good Luck to you!

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey guys i was wrong aabout the timing belt, i guess it was replaced at around 130k....so yea, feel free to call me a dumb ass ;)

is it still due?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts